I have been blessed to see many famous sites - The Eiffel Tower in Paris, the Coliseum in Rome, the Great Pyramids of Giza in Egypt, and the Kingdom Tower in Riyadh to name the most well known. I love to travel and experience new cultures.
Oh, this is a tough one for me. I have never travelled outside the USA, BUT approximately 10 years ago, we did a Family Road Trip from coast to coast! We left Pennsylvania and meandered our way across the country, ending in a tiny town in California, where we were able to walk to the beach and wade in the Pacific Ocean. So many sites we were able to visit....Longaberger Basket building, Dodge City, the Grand Titans, Grand Canyon, Arches National Park, among others, 4 Corners, the American Pickers store, the Silver & Gold Pawn Shop, we even stood on a corner in Winslow, AZ. It was such a fine site to see! The hubby ended up getting a ticket for rolling through the stop sign even though we were parked on the corner for a good 10 minutes! LOL. I think, though, with all the sites we saw, my favorite was Jackson Hole, Wyoming! There was just something about this small retro town and its Elk Antler Arch that appealed to me. I would love to do another road trip....see some of the same sites....add some new...
I could mention quite a few amazing places, but for me personally, the coolest was the giant wine barrel in the Schloss Heidelberg.
As an Old Street employee, the coolest was our own booth at Team22 this year.
Sure, I'm biased; sure, this was not the point of TBT this time round... BUT! As a fully virtual company, it was the first time over 80% of us came together in one location, so very very special, and damn cool.
Also, our CEO shed a tear.
More over, it came up several times in various Atlassian marketing videos, so counts as famous as well.
@AJ Barks - Old Street - yeah, I see your point - but I'd rather take Malta :-)
In 2014 my previous company was acquired through a strategic transaction by a company based out of Santa Barbara, CA. I spent 19 months travelling one week a month to Santa Barbara, Amsterdam or Singapore where they had offices, and I had new direct reports. I made a point of doing something special with one of my reports or teammates each trip. Kayaking in the Pacific Ocean along side California Seals and Sea Lions and jogging through a eucalyptus forest along the cliffs of the Santa Barbara coast were two of the coolest places I have ever been able to immerse myself in and experience.
@Arthur Stepanyan hahaha! Don't blame you. It's been in my bucket list for almost 20yr.
I don't know what to call out as "cool". I'm interested in architecture, so places like Manchester Town Hall, St Pancras's (now) Renaissance Hotel, Tower 42 when it was the tallest building in London, New York's Guggenheim, top of the World Trade Center, and, and, and. I even went to school in a classic Alfred Waterhouse building. and I live in the graveyard of an 18th century chapel.
There are other more quirky than building-related places - popped up an active volcano, stayed in a couple of castles that Dr Who was filmed in, fried an egg on a the bonnet of a car in Death Valley, and walked through a town on rim of a dead volcano in the Med (Oia),
But maybe it should be more about the people when it's about buildings. A certain Ferris wheel in Vienna for example...
I am torn between Rvk101 and Podgorica Montenegro.
although the most Beautiful place prize goes to my then vacation place and now my home place; Bariloche Patagonia Argentina.
Going to flex on you all real hard right now, because I am coming in LIVE from Mafra (PT 🇵🇹), and the famous palace where they have not 1... not 2... not 3... not 4... not 5... but SIX organs.
Say what!??? 🤯
I'm not sure how famous this is, so, full story here if you're interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_organ_of_Mafra_Palace
"Your location might be cool, but it ain't 6-massive-organs cool" #micdrop 🎤💥😎
Ok, there are two "cool" locations I have been to:
1) My wife and I did the Disney Cruise for our honeymoon, and we stopped at Nassau. Our guide took us to the bar on the beach where James Bond was standing looking out into the ocean in Dr. No.
2) When we were traveling in Italy with some friends, one of the locations we went to was Venice (because why not). One location in Venice I wanted to find (and this was not as easy to find as I thought it might be), and succeeded in finding, was the location used as the outside appearance of the library Indiana Jones walked into when searching for where his father went missing in the Last Crusade movie. As it turns out, the inside is not a library.
I'm lucky enough to visit so many beautiful places. One particularly struck me and it was the balcony on the Hancock Tower in Chicago
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.