I have a build plan for a library that publishes the binary as a shared artifact. I have build plans for several applications that consume the library via an Artifact Download task. When the library changes, I want the application build plans to trigger so they re-build against the newer version of the library.
I know I can go the Library plan and add each of the applications as a "Child" plan. That will trigger them. But this seems backwards to me. I shouldn't need to go to a library and add links to each application that consumes it. It would require admin privileges' on that library, even though I'm only a user of it. Ideally the Artifact Download task should already imply a dependency and should act as a trigger.
Do I have the wrong idea here? Why are "child plans" the standard approach when it seems me a "depends on" relationship in the other direction would be more natural?