Hey everyone 👋
We are excited to announce the following updates to the Matrix view:
If you want to try it out, let us know in the comments below! 👇👇👇👇
UPDATE: All improvements are available to everyone!
The current limitations are:
P.s a HUGE thank you to all our fantastic users who gave up their time to help us research these improvements!
Love your work and eager to try it out. Activate it for my wfscorp.atlassian.net tenant please
These updates look really good. I'm so happy you all are thoughtfully locking down dynamic fields because that would be really jarring to allow changes in values of those fields from the matrix view.
One small suggestion: Would it be possible when someone lands in the matrix view the first time to show a pop-up warning them that if they start dragging bubbles it changes the value in the respective X and/or Y fields?
btw - I love how I can easily see a right pane preview of the item when clicking on a bubble. This way I can quickly add an item to my roadmap.
Super cool! This will be great! Very excited about this - but the last limitation you noted (groups can only be dragged as a group, not individually) means this is something I really can't use yet: https://pr.fnd.st/WnuyLk9Q
Hi!
Interesting feature...How can the drag-and-drop be disabled to prevent accidentally altering scoring which was entered for ideas? That would allow using such views for read-only context in conversations.
Hey @Mike Villis Thank you for the kind words ☺️ I have turned the drag and drop functionality on for your instance! Please let me know what you think 🥳
Hey @Jonathan Hau
I'm glad to hear that locking down dynamic fields is something you find valuable! We thought this would be the best solution given they require some sort of external input or are part of a formula.
Thank you for your pop up suggestion - I'm curious to learn if you didn't expect the values to change in the field when you moved the bubble?
"btw - I love how I can easily see a right pane preview of the item when clicking on a bubble. This way I can quickly add an item to my roadmap." I have shared this with the team 🫶
Thanks,
Sarah
Hi @Nate Dame
Thanks for getting in touch with this feedback. We decided not to support card drag and drop in the side panel as a tradeoff to release the bubble drag and drop faster. Would you be up for having a chat about why you think the matrix view isn't usable without this? Here is a link to my calendar to set up a time if that's easier.
Hi Sarah! Happy to talk, but it's pretty straight-forward. As far as I can tell, if there are multiple cards in each grid position, you are only able to drag ALL of those cards to a different grid position.
I never need to do that The only need I would have to drag from one grid position to another would be for one card at a time.
Hi @Bill Sheboy
Unfortunately, it isn't possible to disable the drag and drop. However, if your project is private and invited users are given "viewer" permissions they will not be able to move the idea bubbles. Please let me know if you need any more help with this.
Thanks, @Sarah Stenhouse
That suggestion helps for edge cases, but no so much when using such Jira Product Discovery projects for portfolio management...where lots of people may need to see, comment, contribute...and...we don't want them to alter defined mechanisms for scoring things like sizing, value, etc. (accidentally or intentionally). And with no "undo" in many areas of Jira Cloud, the user cannot self-serve to fix their error.
We will investigate possible work-arounds with:
Kind regards,Bill
Hi @Bill Sheboy ,
If possible, could we have a call together to discuss how you use the matrix? I would love to learn more about your use case. Here is a link to my calendar for ease.
UPDATE: Hey! The improvements listed above are now available to everyone 🙌
@Sarah Stenhouse improvements in the parent comment, or something else?
Hey, @Nate Dame Good point! I will clarify I was referring to the drag and drop functionality, including the new styling for grouped bubbles when sizes are applied. It was originally only available to a few selected users, but now it is available to everyone.
You may not have seen this but I published a guide in the Matrix view which includes a tip on how to edit the values of grouped ideas. Here is a loom with more information.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.