I have a Bamboo remote agent running on a Windows 10 server. One of the plans I want to create is for testing an ODBC driver. In order to install the driver so it can be tested I need to modify the Windows registry HKLM (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE) section to add information about the driver DLL.
When I do this (from a cmd.exe inline Script task) it succeeds with no errors and if I run reg query in my Bamboo task script, both before and after I run the client, I can see all the settings just as I want them. However starting the ODBC client fails saying no driver is registered.
Then when I log into the Windows system and look at the registry, none of my HKLM settings exist (I purposefully didn't remove them again). Also, if I'm logged into the Windows system and I run the exact same test from a cmd.exe it works great with no errors: it finds the driver and the tests succeed. And the HKLM settings still exist after the test concludes of course.
Is there some magical thing that the Bamboo agent does that fakes out the Windows registry so that reg add / reg query / etc. commands pretend to succeed while not actually modifying the registry at all? That's the only way I can explain the behavior I'm seeing. But, I can't seem to find any info about anything like this in the documentation.