I used to be able to paste a URL to a Trello board and it would automatically create a card, pull the page title from the URL and set it as the card title, attach the URL as card attachment, pull the preview image from the URL and attach it as a card cover and pull the first few lines of text from the URL and set it as description. That used to be the standard behaviour when you paste a URL to a Trello list. It worked beautifully and the world was a happy place.
Now Trello is trying to be smart and introduced “link cards” which generate a special type of card with all the above. The problem is that a link card is literally just a link on the board with dynamic text and images. It means if the page content changes, so will the card. It also means it doesn't behave like any other Trello card. I can't can't add labels, comments, contributors or make any changes to the card. This is severely hampering my workflow.
I want the old behaviour, where the card functions like a card and I can add labels, comments etc. There’s no way to turn off the annoying link cards feature so I was hoping I could use Butler to achieve the old behaviour but I’m already stuck at extracting the page title from the URL, let alone images etc.
I tried:
when the name of a card starts with "http", add the green "link" label to the card, add link "{cardname}", get url "\"{cardname}\"", and post comment "{httpresponse}"It works insofar that it attaches the URL as a card attachment but I don't know how to get the page title and preview image.
I'm not a web developer, but I've tried my best. I'm stuck here. Please help.