Inspired by @Walter Buggenhout's series (latest article here), I've been inspired by how we apply collaboration practices to non-work situations (and vice versa).
Let's share our stories of non-work lessons applying to work collaboration (or vice versa) and inspire even more application!

I'll start us off:
When I was in college, I ran a cultural association like a polite commander. At least at the beginning. I had ideas of grandeur to bring language classes, fitness hours that incorporated folk dances, and lectures from historians to our programming. So I implemented them. Those first couple of months, I had to use a lot of food and superficial perks to attract attendees. But after some great advice, I learned that "education all the time" wasn't enough for people in their late teens and early 20-somethings.
So how did I address disinterest in one-note programming? During general body meetings, members submitted their ideas and gave mini-pitches for why they wanted to see certain programming. Afterwards, they put their ideas on a chalkboard and the whole lot was able to comment and express excitement for certain ideas. A few members would sometimes riff on ideas to add even more good ideas.
The result? We had no problems with attendance moving forward.
- Members were influenced by other members who expressed excitement
- Sharing + documentation made members feel like the programming was partially their making and therefore felt more invested
At work, I no longer underestimate the power of giving teammates a voice and including them early in any process.