For 19 years I have used a CRM developed internally by my company that is specific for a product line that we use. It is incredibly fast and amazing and I love it passionately (that's saying a lot, I know). I have more than 1,000 contacts in this CRM including more than 400 that are currently active contacts.
The Task manager allows me to add future tasks, with a key filter being able to define the type of task (appointment, call, email, letter, thank you [to write], etc. +10). The Task view shows me all pending tasks, which usually hovers in the 5-10 outstanding. The History view gives me the exact same view as the Task view, only it displays the completed tasks. I can filter this in three primary ways:
- Date (several pre-sets or any custom-date range)
- Task Type (appointment, call, thank, etc.)
- Text filter (after the above two, I can further filter by any task found either in the task description OR the contents of the notes within any completed task).
Here is a screenshot of this history view, along with the lightning-fast text filter:

Over my 19 years of using this software, I have amassed more than 58,000 completed tasks, in addition to thousands more automated [passive] CRM actions (the history log automatically tracks any change made to a contact's contact information).
This is an incredible treasure trove of information. For example, I can export this completed task list to Excel and create quick charts of how many tasks I completed in a year, by task type, who completed it, etc.
This CRM is profoundly helpful for my customer work and I use it daily.
But for my personal productivity and now leadership of more than a dozen team members, I use Trello for all of the reasons everyone who uses Trello knows.
My problem in using it, though, is that when I Archive a Trello card, I feel like I am just dropping the completed index card into a bin of completed cards. Over the years I have archived hundreds of Trello cards. A decade from now that could be thousands. If I completed the same 58,000 tasks in Trello that I had in our software, instead of instant reporting, all I have is a pile of cards with only one way to find a historic card: Search. And the results are the cards themselves.
How can I create a history report (e.g., list form) of completed cards? This is the primary indicator of when a card has moved from my "Active" to "Completed" file. The ability to scroll through—or further filter—a completed list is a key tool in my long-term success.