It used to open a window in trello to view, and from there I could download if I wanted it to. Is there a way I can return to this feature?
@Jake Rill Trello recently made some changes to make attachments more secure and a side effect of that has been that things automatically download rather than preview. Here's the official statement from the team that I think explains it quite well:
We recently made some changes to how attachments are secured, largely to make sure they’re kept private. Anytime loading an attachment now, checks are made that the person has the board permission to view that attachment, so generally speaking, a good thing. The unintended side effect is that it also made some changes to our preview service, so moving forward, only images and videos will be able to be previewed. This card from Trello’s Platform team has more details on how this works: https://trello.com/c/tnX5dhiI/87-updated-authenticated-access-to-s3 It may help to upload files via third-party service (i.e. Google Drive) if attachment previews are needed for your use-case. With all that said, I’ll add this ticket on our feedback board for our product team as right now they’re aware that previews are no longer available mostly because of a technical limitation. I’m not aware of any plans to change this for the moment but I’ll pass the feedback nonetheless!
We recently made some changes to how attachments are secured, largely to make sure they’re kept private. Anytime loading an attachment now, checks are made that the person has the board permission to view that attachment, so generally speaking, a good thing. The unintended side effect is that it also made some changes to our preview service, so moving forward, only images and videos will be able to be previewed.
This card from Trello’s Platform team has more details on how this works: https://trello.com/c/tnX5dhiI/87-updated-authenticated-access-to-s3
It may help to upload files via third-party service (i.e. Google Drive) if attachment previews are needed for your use-case.
With all that said, I’ll add this ticket on our feedback board for our product team as right now they’re aware that previews are no longer available mostly because of a technical limitation. I’m not aware of any plans to change this for the moment but I’ll pass the feedback nonetheless!
I came here with the same question. It is really annoying to have to download the documents every time you need to check some information, especially if you use trello as a backlog. They should at least give you the option to return to what it was before.
It feels like every update on Trello is for the worse. Like they have fired all the designers and the programmers have taken over.
We will likely need to look for a new solution for our organization. This brings our workflow to a crashing halt.
@matheus da silva have you looked at using the google drive or box or dropbox power-up to see if that gives you preview options?
@Lachelle Via could you upload your files to google drive instead of Trello and then preview them with google drive in your Trello cards?
Thank you for the suggestion. We have too many drives/folders and other storage systems (not google) organizing pieces of data for that to be an effective solution. The beauty of Trello was viewing all aspects of a project without having to leave the platform.
But then for every file I would have to put it on Drive, and then link it to Trello. I would also have to organize the files on Drive, and not only on Trello. It's not practical at all.
Also, if the issue is security, why would I give Trello access to all my files on drive?
This needs to be fixed ASAP. These types of changes can’t happen like this. Granted I don’t know anything about programming, but this worked for 2 years and all of a sudden it’s broken. Go back to the old way until a better solution is found. This security fix can’t be necessary with such a serious side-effect. This beautiful platform is absolute trash without reliability. Why Trello? I am forced to start looking at other platforms today unless I get immediate transparency on this issue. Either go back to the way it was YESTERDAY MORNING, until a better solution is found. Or I will even accept if they tell us to chill out, this is an easy fix, will be fixed by today or Monday morning. No chill right now. Better security is not worth this.
It's not the solution but at least, Firefox allows you to see the pdf without having to download it
I to must complain about this downgrade after the last official "update". Trello of early 2021 was working perfectly and was the "go to" tool. Trello of August 21 and later is a slowly coming disaster. First, link to files without login was a HUGE plus for our organization for approval of design files. That is gone. Now, preview of PDF or Excel files is gone and downloading each file is a big step back. If you are concerned about security, suggesting the use of third party, like Google drive, is not a solution - why I would want to spread all my files across multiple services when I was able to have them only in one? Does not seem like a security update!
What a pity. This was a such a perfect tool! No longer.
Brittany,
Regular excel and pdf files still exist in 2021. using Google Drive and any other cloud solution is the possible in a business case.
I absolutely agree with you. File access and preview were once the main arguments for using Trello. Have you tried other services lately?
I tried CLICKUP but I recommended Trello to my suppliers overseas and they all use it. It is difficult to move them to other platform. I am sorry I did, though.
Also coming hear to voice my frustration with this change. This has made things wildly more time consuming and downloading all of these documents on my computer is taking up unnecessary space that I then have to go and delete each time after I use Trello! Ughhhh!!! Please put it back to how it was before!!
I am completely frustrated as well! Trello preview for pdf and docs is one of the central features of Trello. The idea of having everything centralized in one tool is the core beauty of Trello. Cmon Trello, why did you go and break the best feature of the app? Trying to stay optimistic that you listen to the people and fix the problem so we can continue to be super fans!
Echoing the frustration others have voiced. This changes has very negative impact on workflow. Centralized location of relevant assets (images, PDFs, Microsoft Office files) was a key benefit of Trello. Now the same file ends up needlessly taking up space on all team member's machines. If If I need to quickly refer to an old version, I'm going to have to download it again to make sure I'm looking at the right one. Please find a solution that maintains the security requirements on Trello's and users need to preview without downloading.
This issue has not been resolved.
Perplexed why we are not updated about this issue and Trello's intention to resolve it. So disappointing and it continues to be an issue for our members and for me as I am charged to resolve it.
If previews cannot be added back due to security issues, the new tab opening to view PDF's was adequate. What is not acceptable is the download of the whole PDF just to open.
How you want to resolve this issue? Extension for browser or Powerup for trello?
look this link embed pdf into your website.
Thank you. This may help for some of our files. But quite frankly, I feel that Trello owes us some R&D dedicated to solving this issue.
Did the PDF preview functionality suddenly return? It seems to be working again here...
I was so excited when I saw yesterday that I could open a pdf! The docx files still download, maybe they will be fixed next!?!
Viewing pdf files directly from Trello, seems to be available again.Good news !!
I would just like to thank everyone for adding your voices to this issue, and Atlassian for listening to us.
THANK YOU Xavier and thank you Trello!
Nope. I'm currently being frustrated by the absolute nonsense in my workflow having to download the .docx I put there specifically so I could use it from the card.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.