Hello! Can someone please point me to an article that shows how to use Butler automation to move cards in a dated list to a list labeled "To Do Today"? Also, can I use Butler to create lists by date from a single "Backlog" list?
@[deleted]not sure there's a specific article, but just go to Automation --> Due Dates, and then create a command like this and it should work!
@Brittany Joiner Thank you for your help! I added the automation, but for some reason my cards are still showing in my "To Dos" list rather than "Due Today", after numerous refreshes and even after logging in. Did I do something wrong here?
@[deleted]i believe this is because it doesn't apply retroactively, so for those cards where the due date is already today, it isn't running, but from the moment any card turn to "due today" (aka, if you have cards due tomorrow, then tomorrow morning) those cards should move over
Got it, thank you! Since you're being so helpful...is there a way to automate the creation of new lists by date? So it automatically creates lists for the next 5 days of tasks and keeps everything else in the backlog (I assign deadlines to each card)?
@[deleted]to automatically create new dated lists, you can use a calendar rule like this:
You can see how to format the date of the list however you like here:
https://help.trello.com/article/1157-variables
Then you can have a separate command that renames today's list and moves cards you didn't get done yesterday into the backlog:
@Iain Dooley Thank you, I'm following and I think we're close here! Now my question is how to get cards in the backlog to automatically appear on the newly-created dated lists. In @Brittany Joiner 's answer below, we talked about a due date command that moved a card to a static list. But how do I tell Butler to move cards due on date +4 from "Backlog" to a list for date+4?
@[deleted]you might be able to do this by having a second trigger when a card is moved to Backlog.
So above we have a function that moves all cards out of Today that are still there as of 4am, into a Backlog list, after creating the next 5 days' worth of lists.
When a card moves into a list, you have access to the {triggercardduedate} variable and you should be able to use arithmetic like {triggercardduedate+5d} to move the card to one of the newly created lists.
If you have them with varying labels based on urgency you could then move any card that goes into Backlog with the Urgent label back to Today, and any card with the "Major" label to the list in 2 days, or "Minor" to the list in 3 days and so on.
@Iain Dooley I'm confused by the {triggercardduedate} variable...where can I set that up? My current "scheduled commands" are below. Does this look right to you?
I also have a due date command reading "on the day a card is due, move the card to the top of list "Due Today", but I'm thinking we may want to delete that if we can cover it with the triggercardduedate.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.