Inspired by a comment from @John Funk, II started thinking about all the different ways we grow as professionals.
Sure, there's lived experience--from on-the-job lessons learned to mentorship via managers. Then, there's passive learning--from online articles to recaps via coworkers or conference sessions.
What about the land of formal training? There are free and paid courses, like at Atlassian University, or on-demand tutorials, like through learning platforms. For me, I tend not to seek out classes unless something prompts them. I don't know how to tell a story from a certain perspective? I might listen to a podcast told in that way.. I've never run a certain type of program before? I might sign up for a class with an interactive instructor who I think is patient enough to answer all my questions. But to develop yourself personally, to truly try to grow continuously through training opportunities, I'm curious what everyone here does? Especially since I'm lacking in that department.
- Gripe: it's not easy for me to know where I might need to grow professionally. Besides performance reviews, where my growth areas aren't necessarily things I find easy to learn without practice in an engaged environment. In fact, I find that the best ways that I learn are from real-life experience, but I can't simulate that in classes...or maybe that's something the classes should be trying to do for us through exercises.
- Hack: when I admire someone's skill--for being a particularly good workshop facilitator, for knowing how to respectfully but sternly provide feedback, for being known for fair judgment--I've asked how they got so good in skill XYZ. Either due to the ego boost, their genuine love for knowledge-sharing, or because they're a helpful person, they often lead me to something I hadn't known about. "Oh, you went through a program?" "Ah, you didn't get good at facilitating until your 20th time?" "Oh, you employ an executive coach to improve your language skills around diplomacy?" So, instead of thinking of tried and true resources, asking others how they developed works for me.
All that said, how do y'all intentionally engage in personal development training? What works or doesn't work?