Is it possible to restrict entries on different fields to stop people inserting spurious information by using validation?
Yes, this is what validators are for - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/use-workflow-validators-with-custom-fields/
Hi @Chris Waller
In addition to the validators, you can also narrow down the values by using single select custom fields. Also, add description to display for the user understand the value they're selecting.
-Ben
That is very useful. I was under the impression from what I had been told that there was no way of using validation within JIRA.
Ben,
Thanks for the info. I will certainly pass this on to my colleague who told me in the first place that you could not put any kind of validation on JIRA.
The validators in Cloud were very limited until relatively recently (I think there were only two available!), that's probably what people were working from when they told you that before. Now, we can script/automate/add-on plenty of them, so it's no longer true.
Brilliant. Thanks for your reply Nic. Yesterday I was made aware that different areas within this very large organisation are using the same fields to hold different types of information so it might not be practicable to use validation at all.
You welcome. There are definitely options available. All items that were mention can be found in the Atlassian documentation which is a great resource to look up features and capabilities.
I think I will take a look at the documentation.
Thanks again for your prompt response.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.