I've been using sourcetree on windows 7 since it was released. In that time, I've noticed it can sometimes be very slow, especially, when switching to it from another window (typically, eclipse). I thought it was actually locked up a few times, but if I wait long enough (10+ seconds), it becomes responsive again. Once it starts responding, it seems ok (still a little slow, but definitely usable).
One thing I've noticed is that if I'm running distributed.net in the background (a distributed computing program that runs at lowest priority), sourcetree becomes extremely unresponsive (e.g., things don't refresh, I can't click on anything, etc.). Pausing distributed.net helps, but sourcetree is still really slow to "wake up" when switching to it from another app.
From what I can gather looking at similar reports, the developers don't seem to experience these performance problems. Thus I assume there must be other things on my machine that are causing the problem. Other stuff running in the background includes F-Secure, VPN client, RescueTime, and various audio, video, and storage, wi-fi, and touchpad stuff (whatever those drivers install). I also am usually running thunderbird, firefox, and notepad++.
Any ideas which of these might be responsible, or other ideas to try?