So it's a little late now, and I know we're all hoping to be seeing each other in person next year, but I can't help but think that there were some hugely missed opportunities in "virtual space" for conferences like Team 2021.
While it makes sense that sessions are pre-recorded and playback is on-demand so that nobody has to deal with livestreaming mishaps. And so trying to conduct "live Q&As" for those might take a ton of work, setting up schedules with speakers, etc etc.
That being said, I'm not even talking about video conferences, but a chat platform like Slack. (I guess this has been done before, even during a regular conference)
What I was thinking was that for things like a virtual Expo, it seems like Vendors, Partners, and of course Attendees might love a chance to "chat" about product, share links, contact info, in the context of dedicated channels (#bobswift, #coyotecreek, etc.)
It wouldn't have to be staffed 24/7 - you could have Expo hours, just like during a real conference.
I know we all love seeing each other in person, but I've been thinking about this a lot ever since the pandemic started. I guess the Bevy folks (which provided the backend for Team 2021) are working on "virtual chat" features like this, that can tie into specific workshops, whatever.
But honestly, it seems like it coulda just been done with a one-off Slack.
(OH! And thinking about real-time commenting/chatting during recorded sessions.... Facebook has this nailed! You can watch a recording of a live session, and it replays the comments in real time. But better still, you can add your own comments, which will then become part of the timeline.)
Ah... possibilities. No, I am not buying an Oculus for this. :-}