So, I love swag. But I'm also a hoarder. This is not a good combination.
I blame my parents, of course. :-}
My mom is inveterate bargain shopper, and is constantly on the lookout for cheap items that "will be perfect for [sons, ever-suffering daughter-in-laws, grandkids, nephews, nieces, family friends, people at church...]"
My dad loves computer shows and conferences, ever since he took me to arguably one of the first such shows targeting personal computer users, San Francisco's West Coast Computer Faire in 1981. (Oh for the days when you could pull your kid out of school and they'd get credit if they wrote an essay about what they did. Oh man, I bet my parents have that essay somewhere in their house.)
Anyways, he would always wrangle a pass from some company sales rep to MacWorld Expo, or OracleWorld (or whatever they call it), and then try to pawn off his haul to us.
Lanyards. Tote bags. Backpacks. Mousepads. Whatzits. Sunglasses. Pens. Post-its. You name it. All the swag.
So here's my question: I've seen your photos (Jeff and others that I am too lazy to tag because of the awful UI for searching) with your extra duffles and soft-sided suitcases of t-shirts and other stuff, your plunder in glorious array on your hotel bed.
(Jeff's glorious swag). Oh, this answers the question below for him:
"This is also how Dallas gets the majority of our SWAG needs for in person events."
But for those of you who don't hold Atlassian events where there is probably a demand for all this stuff...
WHAT DO YOU DO WITH ALL YOUR SWAG WHEN YOU GET HOME?
My kids and wife are over it. I mean, I could've used a mousepad a few weeks ago, but I think my mom probably finally made my dad throw his accumulated stack away (they're working on it, and also we're limiting visits due to COVID). Sometimes our sells "grab bags" of whatzits for fundraisers, and I suppose we could donate to those efforts.
But what then? It seems like Goodwill or Salvation Army wouldn't really know what to do with novelty sunglasses. Stocking stuffers? "Oh wow Uncle Darryl. Free stuff from a conference. Thanks again!"
Do people at your respective workplaces enjoy the swag? Do you put it on a swag table? Actually, I seem to recall this sometimes working at a previous employer. [Although the coolest "swag" at that company was screener DVDs (and USB drives!) that got sent to people at the company because they were members of "the Academy". Man, the money that goes into FYC ("For Your Consideration") campaigns is something else. I have some neat promo DVDs for the Samantha Bee show, as well as a Joan Crawford mini-series. Have I watched them? Oops, no.]