I'm a new parent (our first) and with this came a lot of preparation. I've always enjoyed being around children and now having my own – it’s put things into perspective. Growing up (especially in those teenage years), I always said I will never be my parents. I'm now realizing that I am – partially – and it’s not a bad thing! Many of the traits and morals I have are due to how my parents raised me.
I am a people person, I’m bubbly, outgoing and kind-hearted. I love to serve others and take joy in helping anyone out – even if it’s just making someone smile or holding a door open. These are all traits I learned from my mother. She gave so much of herself to others it wasn’t hard to miss. But on the flip-side of that I can also be stubborn, hold in feelings and grit through tough situations seemingly un-phased. These are earned from my dad. He grew up on a farm and had parents that were strict and cold. There wasn’t a lot of emotion shared with the family and most instances he was taught to just buck up and go with it (maybe why he hates going to the doctor for anything).
I am well-balanced because of my parents and their personalities, traits and teachings. I feel that I really did get the best parts of them.
My question to you is what one trait or moral you will be passing along that you learned from your parents/grandparents/extended family - someone older than you?
Giving will be one trait I pass along to my child. I value being able to provide to others when its most needed - or least expected. I tend to hold doors open or give a smile, entertain a fussy baby in the grocery store line, pay for the person's coffee behind me when I can and so forth. It's easy to get caught up in your own world while out & about and when someone else's day is brightened just a bit, mine is too.
I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's responses and seeing what is important to you!