Jira Macros for Repetitive Bulk Edits
I find myself repetitively performing long keystroke sequences for simple bulk edit tasks.
Does Jira have a means of recording a macro for the bulk edit capability from a Structure?
Or, has anyone found a keystroke capture playback that works well with Jira for the bulk edit actions?
We migrated from HP’s ALM tool a couple years ago and in that transition I’ve realized that Jira requires quite a few keystrokes to perform certain actions. I use the Bulk edit function quite a bit and just today started looking at a Capture/Playback tool as a possible way to reduce the attentiveness and number of keystrokes to perform some tasks that I do regularly.
Here is an example below that I’ve worked on recently.
I work with about 8 System Engineers who spend a good deal of their time in Jira. We have a field called “Sys Engineer” in our Epics and also in the child Stories. When an Epic gets re-assigned to a different System Engineer, often the Epic will get updated, but the child stories may have the previous System Engineer assigned to them. Occasionally I will survey open Epics where there is a mismatch of the Epic System Engineer name and any child story with a different System Engineer.
A typical result I end up with is maybe 30 Epics which I would like the System Engineer name of the Epic to be placed into the child stories under each Epic. It might be six or eight different System Engineers and each System Engineer might have 1 or 2 or 5 Epics that need to have the child stories re-assigned. Some of these I want to leave the previous system engineer on the child stories.
So I go through this process below: (Let’s assume I have 5 System Engineer Names to update)
1 Open structure that shows mismatch Sys Engineer between Epic and Story
2 Group by Sys Engineer of the Epic
3 Pick one System Engineer
3a. Manually select all the child stories that I want changed for that System Engineer
3b. Then select/Do:
- Click: Bulk Edit
- Click: Edit Issues
- Click: Next
- Type: Ctl-F
- Type: “Sys Eng (It auto searches)
- Click: Sys Engineer
- Type: Part of Sys Engineer name (It auto fills in)
- Click: OK
- Click: anywhere in white space on the form
- Type: Ctl-End
- Click: Next
- Click: Confirm
- Click: Refresh
- Click: Ok got it
4 Then Repeat this process for each of the other four System Engineers.
Of the fourteen repetitive parts in step 3b above, the only part that is unique is step number “5” where the System Engineer name is entered in.
I would like to create 8 different Macros to perform the fourteen steps in 3b.
One macro for each system engineer.
Then, once in my Structure, I could:
1 Open structure that shows mismatch Sys Engineer between Epic and Story
2 Group by Sys Engineer of the Epic
3 Select the Stories I want changed to System Engineer X
3a Hit the macro for System Engineer X.
3b Wait/watch for macro to end and return back to Structure.
4 Repeat steps 3a and b above for the other four System Engineers.
This is a pretty simple programming construct.
Put a value (User.Name@abc.com) into a field (Sys Engineer) for all selected records.
There are three pieces of information Value, Field, Record.
But the task is requiring me to take 14 separate actions to perform it.
It would be better if the Jira related commands were being captured and played back and including actions like “wait for status/focus”, especially for the bulk edit as that varies in amount of time it runs.
Thanks in advance.
Mike