Use this thread to chat with RJ about anything related to your Data Residency need.
Hey RJ,
Is there a date for when AU will be available for Enterprise Cloud?
Jared.
Hi Jared! Good to see you here Sorry for taking so long to respond. I forgot to turn notifications on for this new space, but I am good to go now, so ask away!
We don’t have a locked in date for AU right now. However we are looking at early FY22 (which starts July for us as a reminder) for Australia. We are evaluating where the biggest demands and needs for our customer currently are, and prioritizing that. I do know that Australia is high up on the list
As we continue work on prioritizing the second half of our year, and collecting more data, we will update our public roadmap with more locked in dates.
Hello,
From the perspective of the Medical Device companies, it would be necessary to have this feature on the Premium version too. Many companies in this space are small-medium in size and cannot afford the Enterprise version.
Thanks
Matteo
Thanks Matteo! We are definitely exploring bringing this into the Premium edition. We want to do what makes the most sense for our customers, without adding additional complexities to our product capabilities. We have a running discussion going on right now, and I would suspect sometime early in Q3 we'll have a decision and adjust our roadmap if the decision is to do so.
As requested above, please make data residency a feature that's available out of the box on premium.
The way it currently feels like is:
- there is a lot of nice fluffy marketing stuff around GDPR and SCCs on your web site but that does not change the fact is that by default the data is outside EU and the org cannot change this unless buying the mythical enterprise version.
- enterprise is way too expensive (just like DC edition is) and cannot be justified in SME orgs to CFOs
- you don't care about smaller customers at all, unless it's a mega account you are not interested
- the marginal cost of storing data within EU on AWS is roughly the same as it's to store in US on AWS
This is bad for those companies that really need (or must) to comply with GDPR and not just pretend they do.
Hi Kajtzu!
Thanks for the feedback. I hear your frustration and I'm sorry it feels like we don't care about our smaller customers. I promise, we definitely do! And yes, like I mentioned above, we're looking at the possibility for companies interested in Premium to get access to Data Residency capabilities. We also need to make sure that if we do, we have the infrastructure, the people, and the support system to handle the higher volume of customers. So we are putting a lot of thought into this decision to make sure we do the right thing for our customers!
Just please know, I hear you, and I feel good about the direction we're going in!
What I am not sure about: from what I have understood, data residency is where your/our data is stored permanently. But when an app/addon processes your data, data may be moved temporarily to the app provider, who may be located at a totally different region of the globe.
@RJ Gazarek: Please speak up if I got something wrong here.
@kajtzu:would that still be compatible with your data residency requirements (and not only pretend it would be)?
Think of it like this (examples follow):
- if customer data is stored in EU but viewed on a customer support representative’s screen in India, well, the data is then in India.
- if data is stored in EU, exported by automated systems to AWS us-west-1 and resent back to EU - data was outside EU
Obviously the data should be stored in EU, processed in EU (even if it is automated systems doing it), etc.
the only “easy” use case is when the user is outside of EU, by his own choice, and accesses the data willingly (and thus exports the data on his/her own).
The law is written slightly vaguely and there aren’t enough court cases, yet, to limit interpretations. It is what it is.
Hi everyone, we at Atlassian are thinking about pushing out a data residency related feature to help address our customers’ requests. Please let us know if you or someone on your team is interested in connecting with us in the next few weeks. We would love to seek some feedback after we share some further details about this initiative.
Yes, please contact us. We need a swiss datacenter option.
Hi @Marcel Ringler - just to provide some clarity, I'll add your feedback looking for a Swiss datacenter. Right now, we are limited to where AWS has a presence first and foremost, followed by where the majority of our customer demand is. Right now AWS does not have a swiss presence, although I believe it's on their plan to open one. Once it does, we will assess demand for customers wanting their data stored in Switzerland.
Hi Mr. Gazarek
Thanks, but Amazon, Google and Microsoft are all American companies. Why not add a non-American alternative? There are Swiss companies, which offer AWS like services, e.g. ncloud.swiss and exoscale.com.
Best,
Peter
Hi, I follow this discussion with high interest. I think the most of “out of US” companies have the same challenges with Atlassian as soon as they will shoot down the local server solution.
For my perspective (GxP validation) it would be very helpful to have evidence and agreements from Atlassian and AWS, how they work together. I think, if we know how the relationship is and were the data hosted, we can asset the risk better.
AWS provided a with paper in 2016. In chapter “3.1.5 Product Assessment” is a great overview (https://d1.awsstatic.com/whitepapers/compliance/Using_AWS_in_GxP_Systems.pdf), were the challenge is. Atlassian should define the responsibility of requirements for each box. AWS talking about “Costumer Responsibility and AWS Responsibility”. From my point of view, we as “End User” will have a SLA with Atlassian based on GxP requirements (similar to other requirements and regulations like GDPR and DSVGO). The GxP Applications requirements will be defined and agreed together with Atlassian, but all other technical requirements (Server, Database etc.) must be agreed with AWS and Atlassian responding to the regulation. Atlassian should provide and show that agreement to us costumers.
I think this would be a practicable and helpful way to bring up a solution soon.
Or Atlassian promise to support the Server version till 2050 😉
Hi @Torsten Klaus ! We can tell you where the data is stored, that's relatively easy for us. As far as the agreement between AWS and Atlassian. Let me take this feedback/ask back to the privacy/legal team and see if we have something around this already.
Thank you very much @RJ Gazarek ! It would be a great help, if you can show me this part in the privacy as soon as it is done from your team. Please send a link were the data are stored at AWS in the EU/CH.
I know the personal data are managed from Atlassian in US. This is for me an other topic to see, how it will be solved.
Hi @Torsten Klaus
I'm so sorry, I meant to link our data residency documentation page in my last reply: https://support.atlassian.com/security-and-access-policies/docs/understand-data-residency-and-realms/
this page tells you which products and types of data we store in which region depending on the region you choose in your product. Right now, it's limited to EU & US. With EU datacenters being in Dublin and Frankfurt.
On our roadmap, you can see we are also going to be introducing UK, Canada, Australia, and Japan in the next 12-18 months. https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/cloud?category=dataManagement&
Hi all! Just an update to this thread - we recently announced that data residency will be included in our Standard and Premium cloud plans later this year, which includes the option to host your data in the US or EU, with additional geographies coming soon. To learn more and sign up for updates, visit our page here.
To see what else we're working (like additional geographies and functionality) related to data residency, visit our cloud roadmap here.
Hello all!
I am a bit late to the discussion, but nevertheless want my view documented. I am operating a small confluence server in my basement to document my home IT setup and some other things I find noteworthy. I am very fond of confluence as a tool and have so far gladly paid the 10$ per year for my minimum licence.
Now I do not care about regulations and GDPR and whatnot and I am not a company. Unfortunately I do not qualify as a non-profit or charitable organisation for the community licence, either.
AND: I DO NOT WANT MY DATA TO BE ANYWHERE ELSE THAN IN MY BASEMENT!
So what can I do? Quit using confluence, port all my content onto some other tool and say goodbye to years of gained ability to use the tool. Why? Because Atlassian like so many other companies wants to have more control over their customers and force them onto their cloud environment and give them no other viable alternative.
Oh, and just on the by and by: My small mini-PC (intel NUC with an i5 CPU) in my LAN performs in orders of magnitude better than the free confluence cloud version I have tested. Which comes as no surprise, my PC is in the LAN with 2ms roundtrip time, the server in the cloud has at least some 30ms roundtrip ... do the math or go stick your head in a pig!
I am quite frustrated. Feel free to comment.
Bernhard
Our current major blocker to migrating to the cloud is the "Data Residency."Seeking a DR in the "UAE" or "Bahrain" or any Middle East region.
Regards,
Sami Ahmed Shaik.
the discussion is about the data residency is important , the decision about data residency is so very important , people can know their id card verification digitally in the modern world
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.