I have this error when I try to log in to a new account:r ...
Yes, you'll need to create a personal access token for this account.
I'm also here for this issue but I'm struggling to apply the token to SourceTree.
If I attempt to update my account(s) within the Options there is no Authentication option for personal access token. (see below picture)
If I attempt to directly clone a new repository from the URL the prompt login window also has no option for the personal access token (see below picture)
Some search results went as far as to imply that the password field is where the token value is placed. In neither scenario has this worked. I have the latest SourceTree version installed so I'm not sure what I'm missing?
Can you please walk through the process of taking a personal access token from GitHub and applying it within SourceTree?
What nic said...then you take that token and enter that in as your password. I had the same issue as you and this worked for me. Sounding like loads of people having this issue right now. Token is generated at https://github.com/settings/tokens
The reason I answered was that I ran into exactly the same a few days before.
As @sullycolivan answered, I entered the token as the password. I would add that you need to make sure the username you use is identical to the username you generate the token for - I seem to remember I failed the first time because of CaPiTaLs in my username.
Glad you all were able to come upon the answer. Given this has come up a few times, I just wanted to add the info that Github announced earlier this year they'd be disabling passwords over basic auth - and the time they'd make the hard switch (November 13, 2020) was last week.
There are actually two ways to solve it:
Cheers,Daniel
@Daniel Eads This describes how to create a PAT for Github, but what if one is using Azure DevOps Repos?
For example, here is an error I'm getting when I take similar steps >>
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.