I've been in two minds about what I should do for my Halloween themed Friday Fun. I have a love for true crime (if you've seen any posts lately about 'things i'm reading' or similar, i've most likely commented (if you want books / podcast recommendations let me know!)) but one thing I don't necessarily like (because I just don't know) is the paranormal.
I never started my career in IT - far from it. When I finished college, I didn't know what I wanted to do when it came to my career and my Mom was pushing me to give up my weekend job in a local department store for full time work. After numerous interviews, I got a job at a local hotel as a receptionist. The hotel is called Madeley Court and dates back to the 16th Century, so as you can imagine you get asked questions of the sp🎃🎃ky kind. I’ll be honest, things happened. There are two occasions that spring to mind.
- I was delivering newspapers in the morning to the top floor of the old manor house. We’d had a wedding take place the previous evening, and according to the night porters most of the people staying had gone to bed in the early hours, so at 7am I never expected to see anyone around. As I went to pop a newspaper under the door of one of the rooms, there was a noise behind me that sounded like someone running up the corridor and as I turned it looked like a shadow moving to hide behind the doorframe. I went to look, there was no one there. I’ve never run down a 40+ stepped old wooden, wonky, uneven, spiral-staircase-with-a-rope-banister-that-felt-completely-useless-in-the-moment so fast in all my life. So I could keep my sanity, I consoled myself with the fact the pipework in the old building was old, and I mean OOOLD. It was that creaking. Yeah, that’s what it was. I never went to re-check.
- We ran corporate events, and the one day we put on a ‘paranormal’ evening where we had a psychic come along. It was a small event, and the attendees moved through the hotel and over to the ‘Mill’ (where most events were held, including my Uncle’s wedding back in the 90’s) where the event would end. Again, it’s not my thing, so I decided to stay out of what they were doing and just milled about to guide them back to the main building once the event was over. I’d locked all the doors on my way up to the main room and as I was standing in the corner watching what was going on, the doors to the main room at the top of the staircase slammed. They were already shut. Again, for sanity’s sake, I consoled myself this time with the fact the building is old and the main door downstairs has a big gap underneath it that the wind could easily get under and cause the doors to open and shut. That’s my reasoning to what happened, and I’m sticking with it 🤣
Luckily, since moving into IT, nothing like the above has happened since. Interested to hear your sp👻👻ky happenings…and, Happy Halloweeeeeeeeeeen 👻🎃🧛🏻♂️🧛🏻♀️🧙🏻♂️🧙🏻♀️