Hello, Welcome Center members! And a special welcome to our new users on this fine Wednesday.
We’ve selected some extra-special users to tag in the comments, but we want to hear from everyone about this important question, which may or may not be an excuse for everyone to post cute pet pictures.
How did you come up with names for your pets?
I don't have any pets at the moment (trying to change that) but have had some over the years! My first pet was a parakeet I got when I was 8 years old, and I named him Gumdrop based on his color. Still a solid pet name, I have to say.
My subsequent pets were also parakeets: Cassie was a yellow parakeet, and her name was short for Kaas Kop, which means “Cheese head” (literally) or “Cheese lover” (colloquially) in Dutch. Cheese = yellow = Kaas = Cassie.
Finally I got Phoebe and Pigwidgeon, a pair of birds named after the Titan goddess Phoebe and Ron’s bird from Harry Potter, respectively.
Next I am hoping to get a Lineolated parakeet and am already thinking of names! Do I go for human names? Cute names? Mythological? Literary? Do I let my child inevitably name the bird after its color, e.g. Greenie or Tealy? My naming has been all over the place, so give me some inspiration!

So how did you come up with your pet’s name?