And it comes back even if I set "always choose this form now on" to true
Same issue. Just installed the latest version of SourceTree (3.3.9) on a fresh build of Windows 10 v2004
Open Windows Powershell (Admin) from the Start Button context menu:
If it's not there, search for Windows PowerShell, click the > arrow and select Run as Administrator:
Run the following commands (in bold) excluding the #comments:
#Navigate to the SourceTree LocalAppData folder
cd $env:LOCALAPPDATA\Atlassian\SourceTree\git_local\mingw32\bin\
#Run git.exe to edit the config file
./git.exe config --edit --system
#This open a VI text editor
#Press the letter "I" on your keyboard to enter INSERT mode
#Update [credential] helper in the config file as shown in the screenshot above or below.
[credential]helper = manager
#Press the "Esc" key on your keyboard until INSERT mode exits, then type :wq and press Enter. This "writes and quits" the VI Editor.
:wq
thx a lot
you just saved my day
I'm having trouble navigating here:
%localappdata%\Atlassian\SourceTree\git_local\mingw32\bin\
I cannot find 'git_local' in the SourceTree folder, only 'accounts.json'
Please confirm you're looking under Local and not Roaming AppData folders.
%localappdata%\Atlassian\SourceTree\git_local\mingw32\bin
Not
%appdata%\Atlassian\SourceTree
(which contains accounts.json)
Otherwise, check if you're using System Git (%ProgramFiles%\Git) rather than Embedded Git (%localappdata%\Atlassian\SourceTree\git_local\mingw32\bin).
Refer to this KB article:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/sourcetreekb/using-embedded-git-or-system-git-in-sourcetree-785323587.html
The powershell code wont work for me. I tried CMD but cant seem to close and save that file.
I can save that setting in that popup to "Always use..", but still nothing
THe person who thought it was nice to add PUFFY, can some drop that person from a bridge! WTF im so damn annoyed by that old crap software.
In 2022, installing SourceTree in a new Windows 11 virtual machine still prompts me with this popup of the death... What a pathetic expercience for new users, such as a full class of students...
However, i found out that selecting "manager-core" from the list and checking always use was the solution. If the popup comes again, select the second option "manager-core" was definitive. I don't know why there are several options with the same name, but the second one was the solution.
Also since I was cloning a repository (with https) from bitbucket, I had to connect to my account in Tools > Options > Authentication > Add > select HTTPS and OAuth
Great work finding a simple solution, this helped, thanks!
You are my savior. Thanks!
Thanks pierrerossel. It works like a charm.
Thanks for the tip! 👏
2022 and the SourceTree OOB experience is just as broken still. Install it, run it, watch the credentials 'helper' pop up continually over and over until you manually edit the /etc/gitconfig file as above. Can't believe someone recommended this client to me :-)
Thanks, this just helped me. Had authentication error when trying to clone a remote repository and setting this as shown has fixed my issue.
Hi, I am having trouble opening the editor
%localappdata%\Atlassian\SourceTree\git_local\mingw32\bin> ./git.exe config --edit --systemhint: Waiting for your editor to close the file... error: cannot spawn vi: No such file or directoryerror: unable to start editor 'vi'
Thanks, worked like a charm!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.