In SourceTree, how do I update the author that shows in the Author field of the commit UI? it always seems to revert back to a name & email that i don't recall inputting.
Hi Patrick,
There are two places this could be happening. Firstly you have a global user details setting in SourceTree. This can be found in the SourceTree menu then "Preferences" (or Cmd+,) and you'll see at the top which user details are used.
If these are correct then there are repository-level settings instead allowing you to override the global settings per-repository. You can find these by going to either the "Repository" menu (when the repo window is open) and hitting "Repository Settings" or clicking the "Settings" button on the toolbar of the repository window on the right hand side. Click on the "Advanced" tab and you'll see some further author details. If the checkbox "Use global user settings" is turned off then it'll be using those author details instead.
Hope that helps!
Thank you for your response! This helped, though I should mention...
I checked both settings, and both showed identical author name & email, but only when I uncheck "Use global user setting" does the commit author change as expected. And, in order for the "Use global user setting" to work when checked (even though both showed the same info), I needed to edit the Default user info and just re-enter the same info.
Thanks again!
I can confirm this is the case. Version 1.5.2.0 of SourceTree.
You have to clear the "Default User Information" save, then re-type and save before it will update and correctly use this for commits on Repos that are set to use the default info.
Can confirm this behavior on SourceTree version 1.7.0.32059
You can use command prompt to fix it:
$ git config user.name "John Doe" $ git config user.email "john@doe.org"
For Globally you can do that by:
$ git config --global user.name "John Doe" $ git config --global user.email "john@doe.org"
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.