Hello Everyone,
I'm trying to make an app that can grab JQL results via the Jira Rest API. I'm coding in Javascript and having a hard time understanding the documentation. Does anyone have any good resources they can point to for this? It's my first time with Atlassian products and I'm quite lost for now haha.
Hi,
It'll be easier to answer this in depth if you provide more context, but let me try it anyway:
1) You want to use the REST API. There's actually two different pieces of documentation to look at, depending on whether you are on server or on cloud. By the the tag on your question, I gather that you have Jira installed on a server somewhere, so this here should be a good starting point for the REST documentation:
https://developer.atlassian.com/server/jira/platform/rest-apis/
2) You want to grab the results from a JQL query, so you will need to know which endpoint to hit. Here's the list of all endpoints:
https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/REST/8.10.0/
And here is the one I would use:
https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/REST/8.10.0/#api/2/search
3) Now the fun part starts: Calling that endpoint from your favorite programming language! You said you are using JavaScript, so I am assuming that you are using NodeJS. In that case, I would recommend installing a module like this one: https://www.npmjs.com/package/jira-client
…which of course also has some documentation with getting started examples:
https://jira-node.github.io
4) And sure enough the module also includes a method to search for issues in Jira using JQL:
https://jira-node.github.io/class/src/jira.js~JiraApi.html#instance-method-searchJira
That should be enough to get you going. Hope that helps and good luck with your app,
Oliver
😃😃😃😃😃😃😃 Thank you so much Oliver, you are so helpful and encouraging. I'm looking through these links now. THANKS !!!!
-P
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.