I have a number of Bamboo remote agents each with 6GB RAM and 1GB of swap. Our monitoring keep alerting that we have peaks where more than 50% of swap space is being used. Correspondingly monitoring is still showing ~4GB of RAM is free.
I have tried increased the mx value for the Bamboo agent to 2GB of memory, and whilst this has reduced the occurrences the problem persists.
I have added some additional monitoring to look at the JMX value coming out of Java and these seem to confirm that the Java process is not using very much memory. Although why is inconclusive.
Can anyone offer any thoughts or suggestion, or is this to be expected? My gut and reading tell me that swapping is not desirable, although I know some swapping is expected. I am a novice when it comes to Java tuning and curious why the observed activity is taking place.