When I add a colored label to a card, I'd like to have the corresponding cover color added to the card. Is there a way to make this automated so I don't have to manually change it every time?
Hi Ashley,
Right now, card cover automation isn’t available within Butler, but we're tracking the demand for it! I’ll pass your interest in this on to our team for consideration—let me know if there's any additional info you'd like for me to send their way.If you're curious about how our team decides on what requests we work on, this article gives some insight into that process: http://help.trello.com/article/724-submitting-feature-requests-for-trello. We've also published a blog post with more detailed and visual information here: https://blog.trello.com/feature-requests-unite-support-and-productIf you'd like to see our latest features and releases you can take a look at our dev board at http://www.trello.com/dev. Our mobile boards are available at https://trello.com/b/5tj4qAvo/trello-ios-app and https://trello.com/b/ud59t1fL/trello-android-app.Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, and have a productive day!
I am interested in this as well.
Ditto - this is a basic thing I need.
Could really do with this
Very interested also !
Although Butler currently can't change a card's cover directly via an Action, you can do it indirectly using Butler's cool HTTP requests Action to send a suitable PUT request to the Trello REST API to update the card and set the values you want for the cover.
To do this, create a Butler rule, add the Trigger you want, then add an Action of the type Content and the sub-type 'put to url with payload'.
The url would be the endpoint for cards, followed by the variable that will be substituted by Butler with the ID of the card you want to alter, which would be:
https://api.trello.com/1/cards/{cardid}
and the payload would be the JSON formatted request that would contain your key, token, and the settings you want for that card's cover. For example, this payload would change the card's cover to green, full size:
{"key" : "[your_rest_key_here]","token" : "[your_rest_token_here]","cover" : {"color" : "green","size" : "full" }}
Here is the resulting Action:
Here is an example of that Action being triggered when a new card is created on the board:
Here is a closer look at the rule, showing the Action in more detail:
By altering the HTTP request's payload, you could set the card cover's color, size, text brightness etc, or even add an Unsplash image.
Here is an adaption of David Bakkers' excellent workaround: although David's fix worked for me in that it "did what it said on the tin", this isn't quite what I wanted - what I actually wanted was to apply a "header" or "partial" cover rather than a "full". As you can see, I'm struggling to give a precise name to the type of header that I want and that same problem gave me grief when it came to trying to adapt the “payload”; I unsuccessfully tried updating the “cover” def' as follows:{"color" : "green","size" : "part" }
{"color" : "green","size" : "partial" }
{"color" : "green","size" : "header" }
As I say, none of these attempts worked so I thought “what the hell, let’s just see if the default works” and I'm glad to report that this was successful with the simple:
{"color" : "green"}
The down-side to all of this is that this fix is dependent upon the current Atlassian implementation of the [Create a Rule] feature which I guess could change at any time.
Hello @Marcus
The cover size can be set to one of two values: 'normal' or 'full', with normal being the default if you don't define a size.
To know more about the other settings for the cover, including putting a picture inside the cover or setting the brightness of the text compared to the background, refer to the Update a Card section of the Trello REST API documentation page.
This is fantastic! While Trello's card covers don't exactly result in the appearance I want, this definitely will get you there
PLEASE, PLEASE add this ability! The more visual you can make these cards, the more intuitive they will be and the faster we can process them. If the purpose of automations is to speed up our work flow, having the ability to visually categorize our cards dramatically improve our efficiency.
@[deleted] it did not work for me I tried everything
Hey, thanks for this workaround!
I'm struggling to get this to work but perhaps I'm making a mistake with the API codes—do the REST API values differ from the regular API values I've retrieved from https://trello.com/app-key?
Any advice appreciated.
***
EDIT: Never mind, it started working fine a while after I posted this!
@Final Touch Auto Body I couldn't get it to work but I left the new rules in place and they started working within a couple of days. Not sure what caused the delay, but it's fine now. Perhaps you have a similar issue?
Darn. It's not working for me. Here is the code. Thoughts about what I am doing wrong? Thanks
I would also love it if this feature could be added!
Hello @David Bakkers this isn't working anymore. Do you or anyone know if Trello made some back end changes that would cause this workaround to fail?
+1 to this request to automate card covers. The REST API method listed above seems to have stopped working.
Please add this.
It's been two years since the original request and a lot of time and effort has been expended by people trying workarounds.
I'm no techi so all that API and code stuff turns me off.
Please just do it. It seems a fundamental ommission.
It has been two years. It's been so long, I actually left. I use Trello for very different, low level things now. I moved over to Notion, which has a great -highlight all and bulk change properties- function. Extremely useful!
Thanks for the tip, Elizabeth. I'll check Notion out now. 👍
Yes Please Add!!!
I've been waiting for this for far to long!
Give us some colors!!!!
I NEED to automate color covers when they move lists.
Badly want this!
DO ITI would love to link color with word or code i use in card ex. MAIL or RAPORT
Still wanting this - still waiting for this (it has been a while ..... ) (I would like to use a custom Picklist from the card to change the Cover color automatically ) - or a date field (ie overdue / approaching etc)(Using 'Label' would be difficult to automate when a card could have more than 1 label)
agreed and agreed
pls
Yes please! Automation for card covers would be good!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.