We are migrating all of our self-hosted Atlassian applications to new servers and I'm trying to do this incrementally. All of the applications are currently installed on a single server (don't ask... wasn't my idea, nor ideal... I know). One approach that I'm thinking might work is to do the following:
- Create new <Atlassian App, e.g., Crowd> on NEW server
- Backup/export all data, and stop OLD Crowd instance
- Import all data into NEW Crowd instance and Start
- Configure tomcat on OLD Crowd server to proxy_pass/reverse_proxy to NEW Crowd server and restart tomcat on OLD server
- Repeat for all Atlassian apps...
Then, create a proxy front end (ngnix, IIS, apache, etc.) that once all Atlassian applications are moved to their new respective server, proxy translates OLD server name/applications to NEW server names/application. Decommission OLD server. Finally, create DNS record for proxy front end to look like the OLD server name on the domain, i.e., ping OLD, gets response of proxy server.
I know apache can be set up to do this, but what about Tomcat? Can I have tomcat running on one server, and the application reside on another?
Anyone have any experience doing something similar? Is this the best approach?
Appreciate your thoughts and advice.
Thanks!