I got an email with the headline April 30thwhat the f*ck, I have a private team and boards and now I can’t personally control it?given that we have subordination in team
Yeah, this would make Trello literally unusable for us. I have been an avid user for several years, and with no barriers between company resources, literally everyone can grab a piece of confidential info and sell to a competitor next door.
We are in China. Data protection law isn't much of a thing here. But this new update would just leave everything out in the open.
Yes, I agree, this is an upsetting change! Is there any other purpose than to force people with sensitive information away from the free version of Trello? I you, the Trello-team, honestly want this to be something that’s not bad, then please make it to something that we can configure.
Very annoying!
Perhaps, we'll have to move to another platform because of this change.
Totally agree with this. This just feels like a thinly veiled effort to push people toward a paid plan. And their link to contact their support team doesn't even appear to be working at the moment.
@Kain , can you share details on this? I have not seen such email and am unclear what precisely is changing. In any event you might reach out to Atlassian Support for more info on this if it is unclear.
@Jack Brickey
russian text at img / quotelink after email more info https://help.trello.com/article/1215-team-admin-permissions
Здравствуйте!Начиная с 30 апреля 2020 года все участники бесплатных команд получат права доступа администраторов. Это значит, что: Любой участник сможет добавить пользователя в команду или удалить его. Любой участник сможет изменять настройки конфиденциальности на уровне команды. Оформить платную подписку Trello для всей команды может любой ее участник.Это изменение не повлияет на статус администратора, права доступа и настройки конфиденциальности, заданные на уровне досок.Мы надеемся, что это изменение упростит взаимодействие внутри команды. Если Вы считаете, что подобное нововведение негативно скажется на Вашей работе, сообщите нам об этом.
Начиная с 30 апреля 2020 года все участники бесплатных команд получат права доступа администраторов. Это значит, что:
Это изменение не повлияет на статус администратора, права доступа и настройки конфиденциальности, заданные на уровне досок.
Мы надеемся, что это изменение упростит взаимодействие внутри команды. Если Вы считаете, что подобное нововведение негативно скажется на Вашей работе, сообщите нам об этом.
I agree. This is totally BS. And the reasoning behind it sounds just insolent.
Lets gather here a new app so we can ditch Trello.
Thanks for sharing. Still not sure I understand what is changing but maybe they are adding a level of control? I use the free version (casually).
Hi Kain,
We appreciate the feedback and I hope I can add some additional clarification.
The changes mentioned are not removing any permission or admin control for boards within your teams.
What is changing is admin availability at the team level. Free team admins had never any control over boards within the team—their capability only extends to team membership, along with a few team settings.
The admin of a board within a free team controls who can access it, as well as its visibility and permissions settings.
OK, I think we should look at this logically. This is the email:
Right, so it's only going to affect free teams, which are limited to 10 boards.
IMHO, it would be worth removing people at a TEAM level, and adding them to the individual boards. Given that there are only 10 boards allowed on free teams, this shouldn't be too labour intensive. If there are two or three people who you 'trust' you could have them added at the TEAM level, but anyone else, add them per board. You could even have a strategy in place to make sure that only one person is on the TEAM and that everyone knows that it's only one person and everyone else it added to the boards individually?
That means that you can add people to add 10 boards if you want, just not to the TEAM, and therefore won't have all the admin permissions that Trello has said in their email.
If you want to make sure that no one can upgrade to BC, add everyone on a board level, not the TEAM
Does this make sense?
I use teams to share projects with clients - this isn't going to work now - can't have the client taking over the project. How else can I share a board without losing control of it
Oh, lightbulb moment. don't add clients to the team, just the board. I get it now
lockdown brain fog, sorry
Hi @Tony Crockford
Welcome to the Community!
You can still add clients to the boards (like you've always done), just don't add them to the team and they won't have control that you don't want them to have.
Board controls stay the same:
hm,you want to say that everything would be as before, I just need to clean people from the team?
for controlling information-sharing, any team member can change team-level privacy setting
any member can open board for public for what ?i owner team and boards, and i no have control private or public setting board ?P.S. if I don’t understand correctly, your team should buy the perfect translator for other languages and don't scare people in letters
@Esme Crutchley you say that now in a free plan the team should consist only of project managers.
ExampleI have 100 clients. every 5+ people 1 team, in a new board I add a TEAM instead of searching for every name.
Do I understand your explanation correctly?
my own team can not have a hierarchy?
Any team member could change the team-level privacy setting.
I have a few teams and I'm the only team member - but the boards within those teams are shared with others.
Anyone in the team (not board) can change it to public. Hence my suggestion of having the team as trusted people, specifically people who know how to use Trello and won't accidentally change something (like making the team public).
You have control of the team as you're the owner - should you add anyone else to the team, they will have the same privileges as you.
Anyone on a board - depending on their permissions (which are probably already set) will have different capabilities.
Like I said further down, I'm a user not staff, this is just how I see it
If you remove a team member, they will stay on any boards within that team that they're already on:
Long story short
Team members that are already admin on the team - nothing will change
Team members that are members (i.e. not admin) - will be made admin - if you don't want this to happen - make sure they're on the relevant boards and remove them from the team. You could even send out a quick IM or email to those people letting them know, remembering that their membership of the boards isn't contingent on them being members of the team.
Board members - nothing will change - if they're 'normal' members, this will stay the same - if they're 'admin' members of a board, this will stay the same.
That's just how I see it, Atlassian please let me know if I'm wrong!
This change isn't a big deal. It will mean that some people with edge case requirements on their teams will need to pay, but most people can just either not use teams, or rely on board level permissions. I don't see what the freak out is about.
However the reason they gave is kinda dumb. It's obvious that this is about trying to increase paid membership.
A member on this topic has had a reply from Trello with further guidance on what's changing:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-discussions/The-new-policy-All-members-with-admin-permission-seems-very-bad/m-p/1352526#M1148%3Futm_source=atlcomm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=immediate_general_comment&utm_content=topic
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.