I started off my day this morning with coffee and the news (depressing...the news not the coffee) and began to reflect on the previous days Remote 2020 Summit sessions and particularly what I heard on Next-gen (NG).
As a cloud user now for 4 years I feel I'm pretty well established with the platform and honestly I love it. Do I love everything? Most certainly not but I can't imagine a better solution for my needs. One thing I have struggled with over the past year has been Next-gen but I will say with each passing day I find myself saying - well that's neat or wow that is really clean and simple! Still, I have not fully embrace and only a few 'less serious' projects have found their way into my instance. However, I really want to see this succeed and two sessions yesterday showed promise that my hopes will come true.
First, in the Keynote it was very clear that Atlassian is driving to re-engineer their products into a more unified portfolio. This includes simplification efforts like NG. Without a doubt NG was front and center during the keynote and Atlassian is all-in on continuing to add features to ensure adoption. Second, I attended a product session (Shape the Future of Jira Software) and was quite impressed with not only the transparency from Brian and Ivan but also what they have added and will be adding in the future (Roadmap). On thing I really liked (new) that I say was the ease of allowing individuals to set their own notifications. Blew away the complexity of Classic for sure.
My main remaining concerns on NG is best summarized by this statement - I worry that I will get a project stood up on NG and use if for several months only to find I'm really stuck and cannot achieve the things I need to (automation, post functions, validations, conditions, security, etc). My only recourse being to migrate to Classic which would be a downer.
My bet is that by Summit 2021 I will be using NG more regularly. Time will tell.
What do others think about NG.