Hi folks,
I am an intermediate level JIRA user and a student doing software development. I am interested in learning more about project management and started to dive deeper into product management. I find some articles on the internet about writing BDD (Behaviour Driven Development) to make good user stories and how to apply the I.N.V.E.S.T mnemonic to user stories.
I particularly find it hard to make independent and small user stories.
As an example consider the following two user stories:
1# Story
As a user, I want to rotate an object, so that I can view the object from different angles.
Acceptation criterium
GIVEN I am on the main screen AND an object has been placed, WHEN I select this object, THEN the 'rotation' button has to be visible to me.
GIVEN I am on the main screen AND the 'rotation' button is visible WHEN I push that button and I make a circle gesture with my finger on the screen THEN the selected object has to rotate to the angle where my finger is moving.
Sub-tasks
- Design the knob for rotation.
- Create functionality for the knob.
- Create functionality for rotating the object.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2# Story
As a user, I want to delete an object, so that this object won't disturb my view.
Acceptation criterium
GIVEN I am on the main screen AND an object has been placed, WHEN I select this object, THEN the 'remove' button has to be visible to me.
GIVEN I am on the main screen AND the 'remove' button is visible WHEN I push that button THEN the selected object has to be removed.
Sub-tasks
- Design the knob for removal.
- Create functionality for the know.
- Create functionality for deleting the object.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Writing these stories confused me.
Because both of these stories are dependent on the following stories: As a user, I want to place an object... and as a user, I want to select an object...
Placing an object and selecting an object are different stories in my document. And the knobs with are supposed to display in a menu are created and designed individually in these stories is that the correct way? And are these sub-tasks making sense for the stories?
I am experimenting with writing good stories and I would like to have feedback on it, so I could learn and improve.
Thanks for reading and I hope you will have a nice day.