I got this from git:
We recommend using a personal access token (PAT) with the appropriate scope to access this endpoint instead. Visit https://github.com/settings/tokens for more information.
Thank you.
Please add your GitHub account on Sourcetree and use basic auth with PAT as your password and the username.
Where do I find the place to add my GitHub account? And once there, I should list the PAT in both the username and password fields?
You can edit your GitHub account via Sourcetree menu > Preferences > Accounts.
Use the PAT only as the password.
The key words that helped me is "use basic auth with PAT as your password". Thank you!!!
@Jarosław P solution worked for me. I had this working no problem on one computer and couldn't get it to work on another. After reading their comment I realized one computer was using embedded git (wasn't working) the other was using system git (was working). I switched to system git on both and no problem. No need to put any token in the URL -- could just use the normal HTTPS format
Great to hear that I could help This whole PAT in the URL was really bothering me, so when I found a way to fix it I had to share it.
This was a really bad idea, much easier to use a competitor
Go to repository settings. In the remote tab click the origin and change the value as https://<token_name>:<personal_access_token_value>@<git_url>
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.