Well guys, it's a new year and (for me, at least) a new semester!
As part of my MBA program, I'm taking a course on international business practices. It's so fascinating to me how cultural differences play out during our work. So, I'm curious: what advice do you have for building relationships within a global team?
In my (short) career, I've gotten to work with design partners based in Bangalore, India. One of the things that I found really helpful was having a "go-to" person on the team there. Then, when I was assigned to work with someone new, I could check in with my point person to hear what they're great at and what their working style is.
I also had to learn not to take emails personally, ever. I had a partner who would say "I have a problem with that" to mean "I'm having trouble with that"—and in America the first sounds very aggressive compared to the second!
Do you have any funny stories or miscommunications that came up when working with people internationally or from a culture other than yours? Any tips?