Hello,
I have w big problem with the removal of ranking dependency between parent/child. Let me describe my use case:
At some point there is a need to change the focus in the project, that means rank an initiative higher than the other. I drag an initiative but there is no actual change in the plan because child epics and child stories of those epics stay where they were and I have to manually first drag all the epics to a specific place in the plan between 2 initiatives (one above and one below parent initiative) and then do the same with the stories of those epics. Even with a bulk change it's a hassle. Without this, a change only in the initiative does not make any real change in the plan, developers have still the same priority for their stories.
I honestly cannot find any use for the case where you only drag an initiative higher but decide to keep the stories ranked low. That's a false output where one might think that highest ranked initiative is the initiative that is being focused on but actually it doesn't matter, only stories rank matters. The previous behavior allowed me to control the plan on high level without having to move tens of stories each time I need to change the priority of an initiative.
Can someone explain to me the use case for this? I read here (in ranking issues) that the old approach was confusing because moving an initiative moved everything and influenced backlogs. Isn't that the whole point of Portfolio to change the focus of the team if necessary? What's the point of moving the initiatives higher/lower if there is no impact in reality and the developers are doing what they where doing anyway?
Given this use case, could you at least bring back this functionality as an option (even disabled by default)? For me it's an absolute necessity and this decision blocks me from moving to the new interface.