I work independently on several projects, but need to be able to see what tasks are due across all my boards - basically to establish a to do list automatically across all the boards. Any ideas?
@Caroline Enye the Cards view shows you all cards you're added to across multiple boards, the problem with this view is that you can't move cards around to reprioritise them.
You can use the Unito power up, or Butler for synching cards back to a central board:
https://blog.trello.com/trello-unito-power-up
This help section article also lists some power ups and solutions for mirroring cards:
https://help.trello.com/article/1097-mirroring-cards
I created Benko Board which links a copy of any card you're added to, as well as any card where you're mentioned in a comment, and unwatches any card you're added to so you only see notifications about being added, mentioned in a comment and removed, as well as allowing you to use Trello as a Gmail client:
http://trello.com/integrations/#benkoboard
I use a Butler 'rule' for this. I have a 'desktop' board that's always open and everything feeds into here. I have a command set up and enabled on all my other boards, so that when a due date is coming up, the cards get copied into my board and then linked together, so that I know the task is due and where it came from.
I have this rule enabled on EVERY board that isn't my 'desktop' - doesn't matter what the other boards are, whether they have due dates or not. I do this just in case I randomly set a due date on a card on a board that doesn't ordinarily feed into my 'desktop' and that way I know I can set due dates anywhere I like and they'll always feed in where I live (my 'desktop' board)
It looks like this. Please excuse the fact that I have mine set up for 100 days! I use it for birthdays and things like the car insurance/service/mot, so I like to be prepared well before time!
Then I only have the Calendar Power-Up on my 'desktop' board linked to my Google Calendar using the Cronofy Power-Up.
Hope this helps
Esme
(Yes, I'm a bit of a Butler nerd!)
Hi Ian,
This was really useful. After your mail, I went in and signed up for business to be able to access unlimited power ups and downloaded unito - creating a masterboard. However, I need to work out how to only have info relevant for that week.
I think Esme's answer below may be the solution.
I looked up Benko Board as that sounds great idea, but I don't use google as my work email address.
This was excellent and sent me down a positive rabbit hole.
warm regards
Caroline
Hi Esme
Apologies for the delay in responding. I wanted to try it out first before feeding back. So this is excellent! It worked....as complete beginner took me a bit of time to just work out how to set up the rule etc. But in principal it worked - I am very happy.
What I need is for it to self generate a to do list.
So I set it up to put any new task with a calendar date of three days to appear in the desktop board - with an assigned colour.
However, I discovered that it doesnt sync back. If I delete or archive or anything in the desktop board the original boards remain the same.
Then, I am now wondering/hoping that once other dates get closer they would appear. But I am suspecting the rule may only apply to new cards. Any suggestions as you are a butler guru!!!
many thanks again
Hi Caroline,
Thank you so much for your kind words.
Okey dokey, let's do this!
Right - this can be sorted with yes, you've guessed it, another Butler rule! This rule needs to be set up on your 'desktop' board and it can ONLY work if you have linked the cards together. If you haven't, you can adjust your original rule to link them and if you get stuck, I can help with that as well!
So, on your desktop board, you need a rule that looks something like this if you're using the archive function:
Or something that looks like this, if you're making the due date as complete:
Then, I am now wondering/hoping that once other dates get closer they would appear. But I am suspecting the rule may only apply to new cards.
When considering due dates, I've had a bit of trial and error on this, and while there is literally no finesse in this, it works! Go to all the cards that have a due date, remove the due date and set it again. That's the only thing that I've found works! Because it only works on due dates that are ADDED to cards, not ones that are already there, so the easy hack is to remove them and add them straight back! However, a word of warning, if you get the due date wrong, it will automatically add the card to the 'desktop' board for the first date and then again for the right one! All you need to do in this case, is archive the card on the 'desktop' board that's the wrong date, because the right one should still be there.
I have rather more complex rules for archiving and linking my cards, more than happy to show you at some point! They do rather a lot more than marking the due date as complete!
Hope this helps, always around if you need me!
Ok you are a genius! It worked - the archiving rule!
V good advice on changing the dates - that will be tomorrows task. But does this mean though that as soon as the date comes closer e.g. arrives into my three day zone it should now appear in the desktop board?
I will have other questions for sure as I explore the functionality.
Thanks again! This is life changing! No more pages of to do lists that sometimes get lost or you forget to pass on a task from one day to the next!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.