Not only design changes are really strange - application now looks so crappy but also functionality is not working correctly. Eg. diff functionality after clicking to file is not event showing file, or showing not most recent saved version – it worked well before.
Real step back
Completely agree; first, the registration pop which loads the authentication web page never loaded; After re-launching it, it loaded but was too narrow to see anything; Finally got past that and now, every time I merge from another branch into my current branch, the entire UI becomes blocked by what appears to be a hidden/invisible popup. I can no longer click on the anything and the "quit" option on the file menu is blocked!! Not to mention the UI looks awful.
I have to agree. I stupidly clicked upgrade and now I'm dead in the water with SSH failures. If I do manage to get by I can't fetch, branch or commit anything. It just hangs. Is there a way to back off to 1.7?
Ditto as @Douglas Smith's situation.
A bit luckier that I have the git shell command fallback... for now...
Hope they fix it soon.
I'm having issue with the latest version as well. I couldn't even start the program. It keep crashing on Win 8.1.
I had the same problem. @Douglas Smith you can remove SourceTree in Windows in the Control Panel in the "porgramms and features" section (remove all versions shown), and then just reinstall the old version.
Worked yesterday, today i am greeted with the Setup assistant i already completed again and an empty content window at step "Atlassian Account". Can't do anything other than quit and resume. Bonus: quitting crashes the program. OSX latest
Very good update!First - I can't install it for first time. It's simple don't want loading web page.Second - even if you login & install app, you can't use app. Then you launch app - it ask your login & pass. And if you give it (or even cancel) - main form still untouchable.Amazing update. Sometimes I remember 90's with it's CDs. In 90s, if company launch similar update, she is simple going to bankruptcy and don't waste time of anyone.
Well, I guess I have myself to blame. It is a FREE license so I guess I cannot expect too much. Learned the lesson, take extreme care when upgrading!!! "Log in to existing account" just show a blank display with a cancel button as only option. DON'T ATLASSIAN TEST? Luckily I have another Mac with the old, working, 2.1, so I could revert on all my Macs. Hope they fix it soon or should I look for another program?
Quite interesting that everybody seems to have a completely different MAJOR issue.
@Edwin Lunandy I had a similar problem: the program seemed to not open. I amost tried to restart my computer when I noticed a pop-up window of sorcetree that I could not identify was open, that was preventing the program to open.
New layout is just plain terrible. Why so ugly? Where did the colors go? Reconsider please.
I can't believe such basic features as 'staging' are borked by this release.
It's like Atlassian stopped using their own ecosystem to manage a release. HTF did this pass QA?
You can get 1.7 from here
https://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/SourceTreeSetup_1.7.0.32509.exe
Ditto. I upgraded this morning. First problem: no bookmarks. Next problem: UI didn't refresh after moving a file from Unstaged to Staged. Next problem: UI froze when switching from File Status tab to Log/History tab.
All this in the first 3-4 minutes! I'm running v1.8.1.0 on Windows 7 x64.
This is pretty shocking.
je suis français, un mot: horrrible
Can't use latest update. Like others, I can't sign in "Use an existing account" - blank modal shows up - blank.
the same here, now after merge I have to kill -9 SourceTree process
Can no longer stage and unstage hunks or revert hunks or lines. The buttons are missing. Windows.
Forced to log into Atlassian through source tree. I don't see the point of this. The license thing was already a hassle even though it's free. This has always been a pain for me.
Had the same problem, now it appears to work.
Same problem here: I am unable to work with Sourcetree since Version 1.8 under Windows.
Source hangs when navigating a git repo, its no possible to use the gitflow anymore.
Where can i download the old 1.7 Version? There is no link on the site?
I can't even delete files the same way I did before! I would previously delete the file in my file system, then simply "check" the unstaged removed file to stage that delete. Now when I do this, I get:
git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false rm -q -f -- filter-helper.js fatal: pathspec 'filter-helper.js' did not match any files Completed with errors, see above.
I've found I can now delete file by right clicking the missing file in source tree, then deleting from that menu (or pressing ctrl + delete).
Why would you guys change this behavior?
I'd also like to add that branch names are now only limited to about 15 characters. On our projects we use numeric identifiers along with a small description as the branch name. Now we get to about 15 characters then '...' at the end. Pretty annoying.
I used to be able to select a changed file in commit view, and press space to select it (which would move it to staged). This doesn't work now.
Was a nice little feature which is horrible now it's gone...
I liked very much sourcetree... but the new version is unusable and doesn't work. I also prefer the old GUI design with the git-flow button included.
I will try to retorn to an older version...
I had to downgrade it to 1.7 to make it work.
I was prompted to download/install the latest version, and when I did, I get the message that the current version is incompatible with OSX 10.9.5.
it gets worse...
it just inserted the diff file into my source file
Multiple crashes, incorrect rebase, not good...
I don't care so much for the stetic changes... but mine just keep crashing after a few seconds. I can't do even the simplest tasks.
I'm using Windows 10 on a Dell Laptop 16 Gb RAM
Here are the previous version:
Windows: http://ow.ly/Yo8pc
Mac: http://ow.ly/Yo8v1
The invisible pop-up issue happens to me as well, need to force-quit all the time
It'd be a real service to your customers to shut off updating till this is fixed .. it's now over 12 hours since reports of a broken update appeared here.
Color of icons has to be chosen for real users to distinguish items easily and quickly. Your art director may think the new design is cool because of consistent color usage. But .please think again about how real users take advantage of distinctive colors.
If you have long lines, you'll have to scroll right to see the buttons. A royal pain.
I care less about the aesthetic changes. It was only a matter of time before SourceTree jumped on the flat UI bandwagon. My issue is staging is largely broken if you're trying to stage hunks and lines, which is really what I use SourceTree for. It used to excel at that.
This is on a Windows 7 Enterprise laptop I use at work. Haven't tried it at home on my Windows 10 box and frankly, not even going to bother. I'll be using the link above to rollback to 1.7.
Select Merge, cancel => UI is now unusable (menu items disabled, cannot select anything - just get MacOS "funk" sound). Have to Force Quit.
Looking for a rollback version...
Here too
I'm still struggling with this one. I neglected to keep a copy of the older version.
I'd be willing to pay for source tree if they'd just test their product before release. I hate wasting time at work uninstalling source tree so I can reinstall an older version whenever I forget to not update.
Totally agree with you.I miss the git-flow button, please include in next version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went back to 1.7. This was a terrible update
Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 22.35.30.png
Easy login right...
Thx for the links, downgrading.
Yeah what was wrong with the previous icons? Now I have to take screenshots of these new icons for my user guide. Terrible decision on that one.
I'm okay with the font changes, removing redundant buttons, and decreasing white-space. Free-ing up screen realstate is a good thing.
But why so monochromatic. Hurts my eyes.
Thank you.
I will downgrade thanks
A design that does not take into consideration user usage and intuition, is definitely not a good design. I have seen better projects made in first year courses of bachelor in design. This looks like "omg look at me so cool" amateur hour design work.
It is back (I update to 1.8.2.2 version and it is ok)
Good answer
This is a productivity tool, it's not an app that just sits there and looks nice.
People who are using this app are constantly clicking and using it the whole time it's active. A media player for example someone clicks play and then does nothing for an hour while watching.
The media player is a candidate for a no-colour interface as the click rate might be 1-10 clicks per hour. This tool people click 100s to 1000s of times per hour which is why colour to find what you need to click is paramount.
Visual Studio made the same mistake a couple of years ago. They went with a monochrome redesign early in the beta process... there was such an outcry that they reconsidered and went back to multicolored icons.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.