I am trying to get my current solution folder to revert to exactly the state it was in some months ago. The commit I want to go back to is tagged but is not a branch.
If I double-click the tagged commit I want to go back to, SourceTree tells me I am creating a detached HEAD but says I can subsequently create a branch so I don't lose the changes I will make. I go ahead with this and select the 'Clean' checkbox to discard all changes.
When I then go to look at my solution folder in Windows Explorer, it is a hotchpotch of the old and the new. I do get back the folders that were in existence when I created the tagged version a few months ago but I also still have new folders that I have created since and did not exist back then. This gives me zero confidence that I can go ahead doing a patch for the old software.
What am I doing wrong?