Working remotely for most people always seems like a simple task, stay at home, get stuff done, and avoid interruption (most of the time). However, working remotely can be completely different than what most people perceive. You would think you would have fewer distractions and more time to dedicate towards getting your tasks done, but if you have some bad habits or lose track of time, you may find it's the opposite of productive. I started remote work a few years back, I eased into it with one day a week, then progressively started working more days remote. I found a few things along the way that helped me to stay more focused.
How to get others to know you're working remotely;
While you're working remotely, you may have a team that is 100% in the office all the time, and they perceive working remotely as "they're unavailable until they're sitting in their seat." That can be beyond frustrating when your work requires you to be collaborative with others. I found this can sometimes be due to how the culture at the office perceives remote work. While you can't change a culture overnight, you can do a few things to help others realize you're working remotely.
- Firstly, if you do work in the office and you're going to be remote a few days of the week, leave a large sign on your monitor stating, "I'm working remote." I found this trick helps people to realize you're not just AWOL from your desk or sick. Another option is to ensure you remind your team you're remote during stand-ups or huddles.
- Secondly, be and stay in constant contact with your team and other departments. Just send your team reminders or greetings throughout the day. Let them know when you're taking a break or stepping away for lunch. These simple reminders help to let others know you're available, just not physically present.
- Lastly, a simple catch up chat with some of your team members on the days you're remote help to sway their mindset that you're working remotely. A 10-minute coffee break chat is enough to send the message you're getting "stuff" done.
Working remote doesn't have to be a chore;
Watch out for those chores! It's effortless to get distracted while working remotely, especially at home. Everyone has a list of never-ending chores that need to be accomplished. If you have kids and/or pets, then the list grows. It's easy to give in to the urge to go to a load of laundry, do some dishes, and catch up on cleaning. The simple truth is, that is costing you more productivity time than you may realize. I found it easier to either start those early in the morning before I begin working or wait until my lunch break, and even after my day is done. It's easier to rationalize by the following; Would you do your laundry and dishes at the office? These little chores here and there add up.
Learn to break bad habits;
There are a lot of bad habits you might find yourself having to break. Bad habits can cause you to become distracted and lose out on being productive. Here are a few things I've learned along the way to keep myself from being distracted.
- For some, TV is a big distractor; for others, they find it calming to have background noise. If you find yourself being drawn into what's on the TV, chances are it's taking away from your productivity. Find a place to work remotely where you're not facing a TV screen (if it distracts you).
- Keep your work machine separate from your "home" or "gaming" machines. For some, they only use one machine to get home and work done on. While this is undoubtedly efficient, you may find yourself distracted by going through old photos, putting in some lost hours on a game, or just playing around. While this is most certainly fun, it's beside the point. You're working remotely to get "stuff" done. So separate the two to remove the distraction.
Break up your day;
Working remotely makes it beyond easy just to lose track of time. I have been so drawn to a project that I don't realize I've been sitting anywhere from 8 to 12 hours. While this seems excellent to be able to spend that much time just being focused on a single task, the simple fact is that it's just not healthy. There is also the flip side of endless meetings, calls, reviews, etc. The list can go on and on. Sometimes the day runs long, and other days there's constant contextual shifting. I've learned a few tricks throughout my day to help break it up and seem less of just sitting at my desk all day.
- Take your meetings or calls somewhere other than your desk. I found that taking stand-ups, conferences, and calls either standing up somewhere else in the house or sitting in the dining room to be more enjoyable. The mental trick of getting up from your desk and walking to have a meeting somewhere else helps context switching.
- When doing multiple tasks, take a quick break between tasks. You don't want to sit all day long without moving a bit. So between tasks, take 1-3 minutes to refill your water, step outside, walk between rooms to help context shifting, and stand up for a bit. I found this track to be very helpful.
- Don't eat your lunch at your desk. I know, it's just 10 minutes, and I can work while eating. Sure, but you're only cheating yourself. It's for 10 minutes. Leave your desk, go somewhere else other than your desk and enjoy that 10 minutes of non-desk time.
Now that I've shared a few things I've learned over the years by being a remote worker, please share what you've learned to adjust while working remotely.