What metrics are most important for you in measuring your team's performance?

Mary Raleigh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2018

Do you care about velocity, sentiment, output, outcomes? A combo of all of the above? What's important to you in assessing your team's performance and how do you measure it? Surveys? Jira? Other tools? Excel?

1 comment

Comment

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2020

5 likes and no comments? :-(

Here are some of the things I like to 'measure' - in order. Admittedly measuring can be difficult and if done incorrectly (?) can lead to bad things.

1. Team happiness - Is the team engaged in stand ups, reviews, discussions. Do I see smiles on peoples faces? Do I hear any hallway banter about others in the team? When I have 1-1 sessions are there any tale-tale signs of how the team is working together?
  2. Velocity - I watch this over a very long stretch to observe trends. What happens when I add a new member or if someone leaves?
  3. Retrospectives - When we hold these are team members contributing ideas on what to improve? Do they express genuine pleasure in our collective accomplishments
  4. The numbers - how many stories, tasks, bugs did we get done

As you can see, I really like experience and gut feel. :-)

Like Mary Raleigh likes this
Mary Raleigh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 15, 2020

@Jack Brickey , 1) love your emoji reminds me that I should rewatch that movie this week, 2) I'm a huge fan of, what I consider, to be a very well-rounded view of your team's effectiveness. 

What kind of signals do you look for in measuring team happiness?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2020

@Mary Raleigh , certainly one of my favorite movies. 

It can certainly be a challenge to read people, especially their happiness but the longer you have known them the easier it becomes. I like 1-1s especially away from work e.g. lunch but 2020 has kicked that out the window. I look for changes in participation- late for or missing meetings, interactions with others during brainstorming sessions or similar, increase or decrease in work output. 

Mary Raleigh
Atlassian Team
December 16, 2020

Changes in participation is a great idea! I love that as an early signal, thanks so much @Jack Brickey !

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events