Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Documenting an application in Confluence Cloud

Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2024

I am using Confluence Cloud to create a user guide for an application developed by my company. My documentation is intended for the application users who are inside my company, since documentation we provide to outside users requires regulatory approval.

I am, however, including how those outside users perform various tasks in the application so that our internal users will be aware of what they see and do when interacting with them.

Since our internal users only need read access to the documentation, we have decided to use Scroll Viewport to generate a Web Site output for them, rather than giving them all Confluence accounts. This also solves the issue where I will need to edit Confluence pages for future changes without these users seeing the changes before they are ready to publish.

8 comments

Comment

Freddie Ware February 9, 2024

So how do I get the user guide 

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2024

@Barbara Szczesniak that's a perfect application of a Marketplace app that can help save on licensing. Add to that the ease of use of Scroll Viewport and it is a winning combo. Thanks for sharing this use case!

Like # people like this
HIMANSHU KUMAR February 15, 2024

That's Great!!

The way you limit the access to the user, it's remarkable.

Like # people like this
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2024

@Barbara Szczesniak 

Good way of limiting the users.

vikram P

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2024

I stumbled upon this article @Barbara Szczesniak and found this very helpful. Thank you! 

Like # people like this
Vronik February 26, 2024

Very good idea
The way user access has been limited is fine.

Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2024

Hi @Barbara Szczesniak ~ curious to hear how well this is working for you?  I like that Atlassian uses Scroll Viewport as well ~ it really seems to allow for more Confluence extensibility.  Do you have any pointers for new users who are thinking of undertaking a similar effort?

Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2024

@Laurie Sciutti I haven't actually used it yet—it's just the plan.

I had to meet first with the IT person to figure out where we should host the output site. Then, of course, I really need my content to be more complete before I give it a try. Since you start by installing a 30-day free trial, I wanted to wait until I'm ready to do something. (If only I could get my Dev team to stop changing the product until I make at least one pass through the entire guide 🤦‍♀️and stop putting other tasks on my plate, I'd be closer to that point.)

We are also timing our move from Confluence Free to Standard to my content being ready, since our Dev team isn't ready to use it yet either. I need to take some time to figure out if it will make any difference to install the Scroll Viewport app on our Free Confluence or wait for Standard.

Sorry if this is kind of rambling—I haven't had my second cup of tea yet this morning. 🥱

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2024

Not rambling at all, @Barbara Szczesniak !  Sounds like you have your hands full ~ I can relate!  Good luck ~ and if you remember, I would love your input on this once you've gone through it.  :)  Happy Friday, Barbara!

Like # people like this
Noah - Devsamurai April 2, 2024

That's great. Thanks for your useful advice!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events