Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monday.com and Jira Cloud Integration

Saurabh Mankar August 28, 2021

Hi everyone,

I thought I'll share this with the JIRA community.

Recently I came across an issue integration Monday.com with Jira. 

Monday.com currently only support Next-Gen projects and my project happens to be Cloud Server based and hence my Integration Bridge was burned by Monday.com 😂

So I decided to go via Zapier Route.

Keep in mind integration means you need to be prepped with a lot of IDs that will come in handy during these integrations.

JIRA:

Here is an awesome link to find Ids on your Jira instance for a particular Task/Issue.

https://<yourinstanceurl>/rest/api/2/issue/<issuekey>?expand=names

Just replace the above link with your info and run it on your browser.

Monday.com:

Monday.com's approach to the custom field is a little different and it can be found here.

https://support.monday.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014205860-Zapier-JSON-Formatting-Examples

Let's get to the Entree now that appetizers are over.

I had to resolve my issue in 2 Zaps (Which you can achieve it in 1 single Zap if you are a premium member on Zapier)

Here are the steps:

Zap 1: This creates the Monday.com Item on a specific Board/Group

Here is the link to my Zap.
https://zapier.com/shared/04052b12f384bfc64724f42c257a3283fbe19a8e

Monday.com has very restrictive behavior on exposing its Ids (or maybe it was an operator error 😆) Hence I did some manipulation in my first Zap to Access to Monday.com Item Id. (Check the last part on my 1st Zap and it'll make some sense). This Monday.com Item Id that I am commenting on Jira gets added to a custom field on all my IssueTypes called "Monday.com Item Id". I use this field in my second zap to update this MCOM Item.

Zap 2:This updates the Monday.com Item & Adds the comment on Jira

Here is the link to my 2nd Zap
https://zapier.com/shared/1b98087b25d0192de9a5b2df995541b273fbd045

I hope this helps someone.

3 comments

Jacek Wizmur _getint_io_ January 9, 2022

Thanks for this article @Saurabh Mankar !

I guess you needed to test out Zapier, since the native solution is not that perfect, and there were no applications on the Atlassian Marketplace.

We've developed an app, that enables you to integrate Jira projects with the Monday.com boards, 1-way or 2-way, with attachments, comments, custom fields, statuses, and so on.

The app is available here (If you need DC/On-Prem version, it's available directly from us for now): https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1225780/monday-com-jira-integration-2-way-sync-migration?hosting=cloud, you can also read more about us here.

Or reach out to me directly jacek@getint.io :)

disclaimer: I'm the Co-Founder of Getint.io platform

Like # people like this
Saurabh Mankar January 9, 2022

Thanks @Jacek Wizmur _getint_io_ for this. I am sure it'll help out a lot of people out there

Aditi Rathi May 30, 2022

As far as I understand, the above solution works for Jira cloud. My company uses Jira Enterprise. Is there any solution to integrate Monday.com with Jira enterprise?

Jacek Wizmur _getint_io_ May 30, 2022

Hi Aditi, our app works for all Jira's (cloud/server/DC). The onprem versions are just not yet on the marketplace. Reach out to me, and we can talk more ;)

jacek@getint.io

Kristy Behan September 9, 2022

Is there a limit to the number of Jira projects that can be integrated into one Monday.com board? I'm trying to create an easy to read Monday.com board that will show leadership the status of all the projects in Jira across a whole department. There are approximately 7 different Jira projects, each with many stories and tasks, that I want to consolidate onto one Monday.com board. Is this possible?

Jacek Wizmur _getint_io_ September 11, 2022

Hi Kristy,

in short, yes Are you looking to integrate them, or migrate issues to this board from the 7 different Jira projects? In both cases, the short answer is yes.

But when it comes to integration, if there won't be any additional condition/filtering f.e. by labels, it will create duplicates in Jira.

best,

Jacek

Kristy Behan September 12, 2022

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're asking... but I really only need the data to go one way: from Jira to Monday, not back to again to Jira. But I do want the Jira projects to be updated in Monday as they progress in Jira. Does that make sense? Does that answer your question? I only need data to flow one way. 

Thanks for your reply!

Kristy

Jacek Wizmur _getint_io_ September 13, 2022

Hi Kristy, if it's one way integration that things are way simpler. Then it will just work, and there is no limit on how many projects you can integrate with Monday.

You won't have duplicates in the one way integration. So try it out :)

It's free from Atlassian Marketplace page.

Best,

Jacek

Like Kristy Behan likes this
Kristy Behan September 13, 2022

Thanks, Jacek! I really appreciate your help!!

Kristy

Ari Eberlin October 4, 2023

Bumping this open- How does one integrate/update Monday projects individually within the overall main table? I have seven projects under one main table, and each of those seven projects has an "x" number of JIRA stories that I would like JIRA to be able to create or update within the individual project on the board.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events