how to add automation rule to sum up the filed Time Spent into the main Story

Emna Elleuch January 19, 2024

Hi, 

let's suppose we have 1 QA and 1 DEV Stories linked to 1 main Story. for each Dev and QA Stories, we log our Time spent, how can I add an Automation rule that sum up all TIme spent for these DEV and QA Stories and add the value into the main Story?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2024

Hi @Emna Elleuch 

Some questions to help guide your approach could be:

• When (under what conditions) do you want this sum to occur?  For example, when the QA or DEV stories log work, on some time scheduled, etc.
  • What are you trying to do with that sum value?  For example, set it to a field, send a notification, etc.

Regarding how to perform the sum...Your issues are linked to the "main Story".  And so those could be found with JQL and the Lookup Issues action, and then summing the time tracking fields.

Once the sum is found, your rule could use the sum, as needed.

Kind regards,
Bill

Emna Elleuch January 25, 2024

1. Yes when users log their times under QA Story or DEV Story, i would like to see the sum of the log time under the main story (we should have a story and link the DEV and QA Story to it). I was able to see the sum of the Log time but when using Sub Task linked to a story , not sure if it's feasible to do it with DEV /QA Stories

2. update the log time of the main story , or it could be in a custom field

3. Ok i see we can look up for issues but how can we sum the time? Or maybe do you mean in the automation Rule we add the JQL ?

Thanks Bill

Suggest an answer