Missing Epic on board (next gen project)

Marcus Grondstein November 23, 2018

Hello,

I have created an epic with sub-tasks in a next-gen project. All sub-task are open and are shown in the correct board column "todo". But the epic is not shown. The epic status is "in process" but is not shown in this board column. I changed the status to "todo", but it still not shown on the board.
That is no the first issue that will not shown on the board. Either simple error or story issues are listed in the issue-list but not on board.
I have tryed to find a reindex the project but this is not possible in a next generation project in the cloud.
Has anyone an idea whta I can do to fix this.
Many thanks

Marcus

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Julien Femia
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 25, 2018

Hi @Marcus Grondstein,

next-gen projects have a new way of displaying / using epics compared to classic. You can read how to manage epics in our documentation.

You can see the epics in roadmaps but they will never appear as cards on the board. As @Tarun Sapra mentioned, the only way to have them displayed is to use the "group by" mechanism.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Marcus Grondstein November 26, 2018

Hi Julien, thanks for your answer. Please have a look on my Tarun-Answer.

Simon Jacobson January 19, 2019

What is the thinking behind this limitation?

kpink October 1, 2019

I have group by Initiative (renamed Epic) on my Kanban board but any one that is In Progress does not display

Hans Son October 2, 2019

group by epics - this does not work when creating generic filters.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 23, 2018

Hello @Marcus Grondstein

The next gen project on cloud uses " simplified board-view project template. ", thus you can't configure the board filter or the board like the normal scrum or kanban boards.

The only way I see you can have epics on the active board view is to use "Group by" feature on the board to group the stories by Epics

image.png

Hi Tarun, 

Thanks for you answer,

o.k. I understand that for the "Epic" case. But I have also the Problem with a simple Error-Issue. I can see the Error-Issue in the "Issue-List" but not on the board. That sounds like a mapping problem in my opinion.

0 votes

I have found the solution myself. The problem was the Backlog. New created Issues automatically added in the Backlog und must be moved manually to the board.

Next question is: Is it possible to choose "Backlog" or "Board" on the issue-creating?

Tim Takach November 28, 2018

good question! I would like to know this as well.

Like Deleted user likes this
Deleted user January 15, 2019

Ditto. New issues on one of my projects are being moved to Backlog instead of Board. Not sure why. 

Shashank Sreedhar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2020

Hi @Marcus Grondstein 

You can turn off the Backlog feature from Nex-gen project settings>>features

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events