Issue transitioned In progress → Start Date, but should not rewrite if new assignee assigns later

Fuji January 11, 2024

Hi Atlassian Community,

When an issue is moved into "In Progress", this rule will automatically set its Start Date value to the current date (look at two first components). So far so good.

But sometime another developer takes over the story and assign him or herself, and then the story rewrite it's starts date to current date again. This I don't want to happen.

I want it to keep the initial start date, made by the first developer/assignee.

I have attached four pictures - four components. The last two pictures - two components (with the red question marks) are half suggestions I have come up with. They have NOT been active, only the 2 first components has. 

Skærmbillede 2024-01-11 144526.pngSkærmbillede 2024-01-11 144533.pngSkærmbillede 2024-01-11 144544.pngSkærmbillede 2024-01-11 144402.png

Best regards 

Fuji - IT project coordinator 

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2024

Hi @Fuji - Since your rule is only triggering when the issue transitions to In Progress, the Start Date would not be getting overwritten when the assignee changes as that would be another trigger. 

What you want to look for is whether the workflow is loose... Meaning, someone is able to restart the issue back to TO DO and again to IN PROGRESS.  This would re-trigger the rule and change the date.  If this is a possible scenario, I would update the rule to this:

• TRIGGER: Issue Transitioned (From TO DO to IN PROGRESS)
  • CONDITION (Issue Fields Condition)
    • Start Date is empty
  • ACTION: Edit Issue (Start Date

This will ensure that if the rule will only process if the Start Date is empty

Fuji February 6, 2024

Hi Mark,

Yes you're right. The start date does not get overwritten when the assignee changes. I just tested it.

The second thing regarding if the workflow is lose; at our Jira it is possible to revert it back from IN PROGRESS --> TO DO. So the workflow is lose. At the moment we will keep it like this, but I will try to think about it, if we should change it.

I tried your suggested rule and it worked.

Thank you very much for your fast and precise help!

Suggest an answer