How can I convert a task into a subtask?

Atle Haugan May 7, 2020

Is it possible to convert a task to a subtask (child issue) under another task/story? I have a list of tasks, but want to group them into tasks and stories instead. I cannot find a way to do this. Is it possible without completely rewriting the tasks?

4 answers

1 accepted

11 votes
Answer accepted
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2020

Hello @Atle Haugan

You can use the Move function accessible in the top right corner of the issue screen. You will need to select a Parent issue to connect your Sub-task to during this conversion process.

Hope this helps,

Danny

Atle Haugan May 7, 2020

Thank you for your answer. Can I also move several tasks in one go? Like select multiple issues and move them all to the same parent? The move operation involves many clicks and moving several tasks is a bit cumbersome.

Like Danny likes this
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2020

Hi @Atle Haugan

Yes, you can. It is a bulk move operation. Follow the advice in a similar answer here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/How-can-I-bulk-move-issues-in-Jira-Cloud-with-next-gen-projects/qaq-p/1177926 

Hope this helps,

Danny

Atle Haugan May 8, 2020

Thank you. The link was not properly formatted, but I found the article anyway. As I understand, the feature enables me to bulk move the complete result of a issue search, i.e. I have to create a search filter/query that matches the list of issues I want to move. Or can I pick them one by one?

Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2020

Once you get a filter that is close you can then check box some issues or select all issues to have the bulk action applied. 

Like Atle Haugan likes this
Like Haardik Verma likes this
7 votes
Eli Szus May 12, 2022

I am very happy that this is possible.

But are you serious? If I made the unforgivable mistake of wanting to switch a task to have a parent task, I need to use a migration tool to make it into a child?!

I hope we're clear that this is ridiculous.

Robert Prickett August 8, 2022

Agree - this is terrible UX.

All they need to do is allow for 'Change Parent' feature to include selection of Tasks, not just Epics. If Task is selected as new parent, then convert the child task to a subtask.

Like # people like this
Caroline Moyer September 13, 2022

Agreed, this is completely absurd. I have a batch of tasks I want to make subtasks under another task. For each task, it takes me about 5 clicks, including finding the right parent task from a list of poorly numbered tasks, from the roadmap view, and then I can't see the subtasks on the roadmap, so I have to go to the advanced roadmap to see if it was done correctly, and I have to do this for EACH task > subtask conversion. Really?? If there is a better way please let me know.

Like # people like this
Jesus Octavio Gutierrez Villegas January 13, 2023

Have you found a solution to this?

Like # people like this
William Chi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 22, 2024

This is outright terrible UX.

2 votes
Bill Miller October 25, 2023

I'm using Jira Cloud.  Not sure when this changed from "Move", but now we have "Convert to Sub-task".

image.png

Veronica Cox
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 31, 2024

This worked best for me, thank you!

0 votes
Pablo Botas February 26, 2024

For those coming to this issue more recently, there is a specific menu option next to Move that allows you to Convert to Subtask. You should use this approach

Suggest an answer