Can I convert a Next-Gen project into a Classic project?

Mathias Timonen November 22, 2019

I'm curios if I can convert an existing Next-Gen project with issues and settings into a Classic project? Say, I'm unhappy with the Next-Gen feature set and would like to access the features that are only available to Classic projects, which I'm used to. Obviously, I would make a trade-off and lose the features that are only available on Next-Gen, but ultimately that's a trade-off I might be willing to do in certain circumstances.

If that's not possible, is it possible to export issues that exist in a Next-Gen project, create a Classic project and then import them there?

You probably notice what I would like to achieve, so if there's any other way to get existing issues and some settings, workflows, etc. from Next-Gen to Classic, I would be more comfortable with starting a new project with Next-Gen if I would know I can convert it to a Classic one if I really want to access some features I might end up missing from my experience with Classic.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mathias Timonen November 25, 2019

So, after some research, I found out, that the most convenient way to do this is to:

1. Create a classic project, with similar issues available in your next-gen project (if you want a smooth transition)
  2. Head over to Jira Software -> Settings -> Backup manager (listed under headline "IMPORT AND EXPORT")
  3. Under "Back up for server" there should be a list of projects and an action for your project available to "Move issues", click that.
  4. The provided wizard allows you to more intuitively select to map issues and fields to similar ones in the new project.

I guess this is the way to go if one desires to move from next-gen to classic, since the description under "Back up for server" says "Bulk move important issues from next-gen projects into classic projects administered by schemes. Then, delete your next-gen projects." So, even though it's thought as a way to move to non-cloud projects, it can be used in this way as well.

0 votes
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2019

You can't actually convert the project - but it's quite straightforward to create a classic project and then move all your existing issues over to it.

Mathias Timonen November 24, 2019

How? Export CSV and import from CSV? I'm trying it out in terms of exploring that option and the field mapping experience is horrible.

Mathias Timonen November 24, 2019

I didn't go through with the CSV export-import madness, so I explored other options and stumbled upon the backup manager (which isn't the first option I would go for related to moving issues from existing project to another). As this wasn't explained in your answer, I'm going to expand on it a bit in another answer.

Edmond Melkomian June 25, 2020

Did anyone figure how to do this? Quite unhappy with the limits on next-gen, so want to convert the project to classic. 

0 votes
Mathias Timonen November 22, 2019

I noticed on the "Related Community content" immediately after posting a quite similar question, but the other way around: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Migrate-a-classic-project-to-a-next-gen-project/qaq-p/920382

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events