Add Watchers to a Next-Gen Project Jira Item/Epic

Peter Monteagudo November 26, 2018

Hello,

A user can add themselves as a watcher to a particular Jira item in the current next-Gen Project (Cloud-based).  

Any plans to allow a user to add another user as a watcher ??  This is supported is non-Next-Gen projects.

12 answers

2 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2020

Hello everyone,

With the recent changes in Jira, now it's possible to manage and create roles in next-gen projects.

The roles created by Jira it's not possible to edit and by default, the Member role doesn't have permission to manage watchers, but you can create a new one.

Go to Project settings > Access > Manage roles > Create role. 

Add a name, description and select "Add or remove issue watchers".

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 09.26.45.png

To allow users to view the list of watchers, scroll down to the last option and select the "View watchers" permission:

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 13.47.12.png

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Angélica

1 vote
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 28, 2018

Hi Peter,

Currently, it's not possible to add other users as watchers or view the watcher list in the new issue view. We have a feature request suggesting the implementation of this ability:
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69751
Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates about the feature.

Regards,
Angélica

Whitehoof January 25, 2019

dear Angelica, who said New Issue View? Peter is asking about Next-gen, this is different. ;) 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
January 25, 2019

Hi Ed,

Next-gen projects have by default the New issue view, so if you disable this new view on your profile, for example, it won't affect next-gen projects, because it was already created with this new view, that's why the feature request JRACLOUD-69751 also applies to next-gen projects.

Regards,
Angélica

Like Vishal Mittal likes this
6 votes
khughes1! August 15, 2019

+100. we just need this. Seems like Next Gen actually means half a product

3 votes
RaeRo August 6, 2019

In next-gen projects, you must add yourself as a "people" from the Project settings AND with a role of administrator before you can add other watchers

Miguel Fenoglio August 27, 2019

It sucks that the Admin role is needed. Next-gen needs custom roles ASAP.

2 votes
James Daniel November 19, 2019

Has this ever been addressed yet? It is ridiculous that you need to be a project admin just to add watchers to the issue...

1 vote
Henry Cho May 26, 2019

Please add the feature.

1 vote
Whitehoof January 25, 2019

+1 from me, my next-gen projects really miss this feature. Some of our teams members are working on several projects (some classic, some next-gen) and people ask me how come they cannot add watchers in next-gen projects whereas they just did so in ye Olde style project(s).

Please please let us know if there are plans to implement adding other people as watchers in next-gen.

And if no then why: maybe a next-gen project is awesomely automated and it spares us the need we seem to have to add other unmentioned team members to lure them into visiting the issue? Mmm? Please elaborate, I'm sure we are all eager to either get the feature or learn how we don't need it (which would also be awesome, innit?) 

1 vote
Donlet Pedro January 24, 2019

I agree adding users as watchers is crucial as it will allow blocker Jiras to be tracked and escalated to key managers

1 vote
Steven Rathke January 24, 2019

I Agree , this feature of multiple watchers is essential to a high profile project where many others are interested in a status.  

1 vote
Joseph Fernandez December 5, 2018

Just chiming in as I would love this feature also to be implemented in the next gen type projects. It is a handy feature in the old project set up.

thanks

0 votes
Kyle August 2, 2019

Agree. I've got issue types in a next-gen project that I am going to convert back into a normal project in part because users in next-gen projects can't currently add other watchers, just themself.

RaeRo August 6, 2019

This has been added; however, you must add yourself as a "people" from the Project settings AND with a role of administrator before you can add other watchers. :(

Neil Timmerman August 15, 2019

Jira makes the most bizarre default permission/role decisions ever. They just leave me scratching my head at every turn.

Miguel Fenoglio August 27, 2019

+1 Next-gen needs custom roles ASAP.

Like # people like this
Neil Timmerman August 27, 2019

Our use case is a consultancy and we want to invite clients to participate in development of their custom software. Jira is clearly not aligned with this use case at all. 

James_Poole March 12, 2020

Same here, we are going to have to move an entire project away from Next Gen for this reason

Neil Timmerman March 12, 2020

I'm surprised and increasingly a bit disappointed by how long it's taking for some of the legacy functionality to be implemented in the next gen projects. 

0 votes
Laurynas Riliskis July 23, 2019

+10 on this one!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events