Perform common actions quicker in the next-gen Backlog view

In between working on some large next-gen feature work as well as performance improvements, we’ve been busily delivering some awesome quick wins on the next-gen Backlog view.

We have listened to you that key actions in the Backlog, during planning / estimating / grooming, take a long time to complete due to too many clicks. And we understand you are frustrated when you have to wait seconds for issues to become interactive so you can update key pieces of data.

You can now update the status, the assignee, and the story points for a piece of work without having to open the issue view. Simply click on the assignee avatar or status lozenge and you’ll be presented with the relevant options.

Backlog_Card_Status.png

Backlog_Card_Assignee.png

Backlog_Card_StoryPoints.png

And for teams using Sprints, you can now create work directly in your current sprint rather than creating this work in the backlog list, and subsequently having to move it into the sprint. Whilst we acknowledge scope changes should be minimised in Scrum, we have listened to many of you that are using sprints and also need to manage unforeseen work such as fixing bugs.

Backlog_Sprint_Scope_Change.png

And if you’re not already using the Backlog view in next-gen projects, then why not give it a go? Project admins can quickly enable the Backlog view in the Feature page under Project Settings.

Backlog_Feature.png

Let us know what you think!

11 comments

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2020

This is really awesome. I have always disliked that I had to open issue view to make changes. In the Classic view I get the detailed sidebar which is nice for detail changes but for simple changes being able to make changes directly in the list view presented in the backlog was something I always wished for. I like that in JSM queues I can do this. 

Like Eoin likes this
Vadim Rutkevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2020

Hi!
All this and other editing capabilities are available in Spreadsheet Issue Field Editor :)

Try a bit different approach ;)

Sincerely, Vadim

Vadim Rutkevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2020

Hi @Eoin!

I'm a product manager of Spreadsheet Issue Field Editor.

Can we have a quick talk regarding your future plans and issue editing capabilities? If possible, please book a call with me at https://calendly.com/vadimrutkevich/app-demo?month=2020-12

I'm curious about your plans and how they may impact my product. Hope to have a quick call with you.

Thanks.

Sincerely, Vadim

jesse.griffith December 9, 2020

Hi @Eoin This is great! Will this be coming to Classic? I am currently waiting for the ability to estimate hours before I jump over to Next Gen.

Appreciate all your hard work!

Like Ivan Teong likes this
Kevin Lannen December 14, 2020

Are there plans to bring this to the sprint board view as well? Being able to change assignee without opening the issue view there would be very useful.

Like Adam Karmiński likes this
Will.c December 14, 2020

Awesome!  I frequently need to do everything listed here, and having a quicker way to do them will definitely save time!

Like Adam Karmiński likes this
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2020

Hi @jesse.griffith - great to hear you are excited about these changes! I won't rule out this coming to classic at some point in the future but there are no current plans to do this. You'll be glad to hear that estimating in hours is next up for my team and we'll be looking forward to welcoming you and your team to the next-gen projects.

Like Ivan Teong likes this
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2020

@Kevin Lannen We'll be monitoring usage and impacts on other behaviours to ensure people are getting value, and this will help inform expanding this approach to other parts of the product.

Eoin
Atlassian Team
December 17, 2020

@Vadim Rutkevich I've set up some time for us early next week. Looking forward to chatting with you!

Like Vadim Rutkevich likes this
Derick Barrientos April 26, 2022

Hi @Eoin (and @everybody) such a pleasure!

I've been working with Jira for almost two years in differents companies, and recently I started in a new company that our manager did some (unknowing) configurations and now, in team-managed project, I can't use the story points option as shown in this article.

So that, what I did was to create a new field (as number type) called Story Points, but it didn't help us, because doesn't count in our backlog activities.

Can you tell me how I activate the Story Points (original) field?

Eoin
Atlassian Team
April 26, 2022

Hi @Derick Barrientos

Has story point estimation been enabled in "Project Settings - Features" and have you added the "Story point estimate" field to the issue type that you are working with in "Project Settings - Issue Types"?

Cheers

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events