SourceTree username authentication grayed out

Nathan Morley February 18, 2014

Hello, I was attempted to pull from a repository when it authenticated me to log in using my github username and password. After entering what I thought was my github username and password, it failed to authenticate, then I noticed that I was using the wrong username. It would have been convenient and also quick to simply change my username right there, but apparantly it is not so. How do I change my SourceTree github authentication?

2 answers

2 votes
Mark Johnston April 9, 2014

Try Tools->Options->Authentication tab. That's how I was able to solve this problem.

Ricardo Muniz January 22, 2015

This solved my issue! Thanks a lot!

radical.ignorant April 7, 2019

That's most straight forward solution, but... didn't work for me.

0 votes
Ashley Bartlett June 28, 2016

My old username that was greyed out wasn't displaying in the 'saved passwords' list so I couldn't remove it or edit it. Therefore, I found the following to work:

Reset the global settings by running:

git config --global user.name "NewUserName"
After that, restart SourceTree to check if it works.

Source: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/206806

I then managed to remove my old username from the 'saved passwords' list.

radical.ignorant April 7, 2019

It helped remove record in tools -> options -> authentication, but didn't solve the problem. Still when trying to push to github it's passing old username and while I can type in correct password I can not change invalid username :(

Like Dave Rushton likes this
Dave Rushton October 15, 2020

I am having the same issue on a new PC . THe version I have had for many years on my desktop works great

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events