Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree: Updating submodules when pulling from a repository

Andreas Tietz February 2, 2012

When pulling from a repository containing a newly added submodule, the submodule subdirectory is empty. SourceTree neither updates the submodule contents upon pulling nor do I know how to update manually afterwards from within SourceTree. Currently I'm doing it with "git submodule init" and "git submodule update" on the command line. Is there a way for achieving this from inside SourceTree?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2012

Hmm, yes this should be happening automatically but it's not, I'll look into it. It definitely works when cloning, and when you change the tracking options, but it seems pulling a new submodule needs some extra handling.

Tracking this one here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-870

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2012

FYI this is now fixed for 1.3.2, and I also made SourceTree deal with uninitialised submodules from other sources better too (you can just double-click on an uninitialised submodule and it will update it automatically before opening it).

Andreas Tietz February 5, 2012

Thanks for your quick reply and fix. Looking forward to working with the new release!

Coaster3000 September 29, 2014

I personally would like a way to manually update a submodule. I can't rely on automatic sometimes as a project is sensitive to another sub project's current code base.

J Stark November 28, 2018

Is this broken?  When I pull in 3.0.8, I'm not getting submodule updates.  They show up as modified (but can't be discarded).  I have to use another tool to update them.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events