Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credential Helper Selector won't stop popping up and crashing source tree

red gecko September 29, 2021

Hi, I've been dealing with this for several days now on my desktop and can't get source tree to work at all. I put in my account information (I'm using Microsofts azure) and it goes through ok, but when I try to clone it pops up the Credential Helper Selector. I select "wincred" like I've seen on many threads and it just pops up again until about 10 tries and just crashed. 

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, deleting the password in Windows Credential Manager, deleting the password file in the source tree user app folder: (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/How-to-update-HTTP-S-credentials-in-sourcetree/qaq-p/297564). 

And I've restarted sourcetree in between each step. 

Also, somewhere along the path my credential helper broke and now shows two wincred options... I don't know how to fix this problem and am stuck. It's working on my windows laptop but it's broken here.

ST_CredentialHelperSelector.png

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
red gecko September 30, 2021

I fixed it.

I'm not exactly sure what happened but whatever git tools were installed with source tree were broken. I tried:

• clearing passwords in Windows credential Manager,
  • uninstalling SourceTree
  • deleting user data for Attlasian in AppData > Local and Roaming
  • deleting .gitconfig
  • re-installing sourcetree 

but I kept getting issues. I couldn't find whatever git metadata SourceTree left behind that was broken, so here's how I fixed it:

• Cleared all source tree account Data
  • uninstalled source tree 
  • deleted Local and Roaming app data
  • I installed git directly from their site https://git-scm.com/downloads 
  • Then reinstalled source tree, where it found git and attached to that. 
  • Added my remote account, and finally doesn't pop up the CredentialHelper any more.

I did get source tree crashing after because I had an empty repo, but after adding the default 'readme' file it is now cloning from my remote Azure account properly.

What a painful experience getting there though...

Khanh Tu April 12, 2023

Although a couple years old, this solution worked for me. I had the same problem and was ready to flip my table.

It would appear the embedded git used by Sourcetree is causing the issue. Using a system git fixed the issue - not sure how true valid this statement is though?

Thanks @red gecko 

Like jimirockstar likes this
jimirockstar July 23, 2023

Also worked for me. More thanks your way @red gecko

3 votes
Pranto Kumar Biswas January 19, 2024

Selecting the 'manager' radio button and checking the checkbox 'Always use this from now on' worked for me. Now, I am not facing any problems in any of the Git accounts.

Shreekant P
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 16, 2024

Yeah worked for me too, thanks @Pranto Kumar Biswas

Like Pranto Kumar Biswas likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events