Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
4,332,782
Community Members
 
Community Events
169
Community Groups

Commit problems with German characters using SourceTree

Hello to everyone,

I have one problem with SourceTree since months. I am Delphi programmer and my IDE saves source files in standard ASCII format. In lines, where I am writing German comments (containing non-Latin letters like ö, ß, ä) there is not possible to commit them using "Stage hunk" button. I see the following error message then:

'git apply' failed with code 1: Checking patch xxx...
error: while searching for:

OVNI_PREFIX = 'ovni_'; // Standardname f�r Videoschnittstellen-DLL

error: patch failed: xxx:148
error: xxx: patch does not apply

I could commit the whole file and then everything is done, but committing only few lines is sometimes very useful for me.

I tried to change the file encoding into UTF8, but it does not help.

I am using embedded version of git (1.9.5).

7 answers

Thanks, I published the issue and it is active on this address: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-3810

Or stage/commit those hunks from the command line.

Still might be a git bug, but SourceTree's not giving enough info about what commands it is running. I think you should post a bug report at jira.atlassian.com, and put a link here as an answer so others can find it. In the meantime, you may need to avoid non-Latin characters in your code.

Sorry, I meant "git add -p filename". I've corrected it in my comment later. It works in git without errors as I've mentioned, in SourceTree I receive the error on staging or discarding the hunk. Please look on this screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/8wTsJx0.png.

What if you try "git add -p"? This is more like the command sourcetree is running when you stage hunks.

Thank for your comment Seth. Yes, I tried with command "git add -p filename" and "git reset -p filename" and it does work without any error.

Try to commit from the command line. That'll clear up whether the bug is with SourceTree or Git.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Bug Fix: Sourcetree for Windows authentication error when updating to app password

Hello Sourcetree users!!! With the recent removal of Bitbucket Cloud account passwords for app passwords (please see our Bitbucket Cloud community post for details on why we made this change for se...

71,516 views 132 29
Read article

Atlassian Community Events